New V-color 192GB 7000MHz ram only working at 4800MHz

I put together a new workstation the other day with the following important specs

Asus WS TR50-Sage WiFi
7970X 32 Core at 4GHz
V-Color OC R-DIMM 192GB 7000MHz for TRX50

I tried just going in the bios and setting it to 7000MHz but I ended up reverting that and resetting the CMOS because it was taking a long time to post. It could be that if I let it try to post for a while it might work but this is my first time working with building “workstation” components and currently the huge time to post had already freaked me out. Any ideas?

1 Like

Max. Memory: 1 TB (ECC RDIMM only)
Rated Speed: 5200 MT/s

Probably firmware maybe but max is 5200

2 Likes

Well that’s annoying. Thank you for helping my stupidity

1 Like

Try running at a lower frequency, perhaps 6000MHz or 6400MHz. The 4-channel threadripper seems to be okay-ish at memory overclocking, but 7000MHz may be a bridge too far for the platform.

1 Like

ASUS lists "V-color TRA548G72D836Q " 4x 48GB supported at 7200MT/s for your mobo

1 Like

The 7970X’s spec is 5200. Common build practice would be to verify that’s stable, progressively step up the overclock until it goes unstable, and then back up and start more detailed tuning. Mind also the FCLK and benchmarks. If you’re just wanting to highmark the DDR the latter don’t matter but, otherwise, it’s worth checking as clocking up doesn’t necessarily mean more throughput on a given workload of interest.

2 Likes

Let the system run through POST - 192GB will take a while with DDR5 after changing settings, especially at high speeds like that.

2 Likes

Motherboard support and cpu support are completely different. The cpu can only do as advertised

1 Like

Vcolor has interesting binning. I love my 768gb 6000 kit but there is no way it can actually run at 6000 due to heat without something like submersion cooling.

Did you just set it to 7000MT or did you activate EXPO? Those are not the same thing… Activating EXPO will also adjust the voltages and timings.

Try activating EXPO, and if it does not run, try 6000-6400MT. 6000MT should work normally on a threadripper 7000… Keep EXPO on though, don’t set manual or auto. You could use manual too if you know what you’re doing and want to adjust the timings/voltages yourself. But auto will set JEDEC voltages which probably won’t work at 7000, and even if they work the timings will be VERY loose.

PS: do note that you are technically overclocking and this may impact warranty. I know AMD can tell if you activated PBO (some fuse on the CPU); I’m not sure if this applies to EXPO as well. Stock/warrantied speeds are 5200 and should be selected automatically by the motherboard on auto.