New Unicomp Mini M controller supports QMK

If you bought an Unicomp mini m since April 2023 your keyboard should have a new controller that supports QMK. Unicomp Mini Model M | Shark's Wiki Unicomp's RP2040/Pico controller purchasing & Vial-QMK guide
I got mine to work with this repo GitHub - purdeaandrei/vial-qmk-mini-m: This repository contains Vial-QMK firmware for the Unicomp Mini M keyboard. It supports two controllers: 1) The OEM "Justify with Mike Smith" controller from Unicomp (RPI Pico based) 2) The MiniRazz open hardware replacement controller

1 Like

Looks like there is a pull request to add it to mainline qmk Mini M keyboard support with the MiniRazz controller by purdeaandrei · Pull Request #20106 · qmk/qmk_firmware · GitHub

Oh hey, that’s my guide!

I was gonna post about it now, but since you’ve done that for me, I’ll post some updates here! I should clarify the Cypress chip going EOL affected all Unicomp USB keyboards, so this guide is applicable to the New Model M, Classic, Ultra Classic, PC122, etc. as well. Anyway, a few days ago, I overhauled it based on comments and feedback on my Discord and Deskthority.

Changes (which are signposted by clicking the “Show Updates”/“+” button):

• “How to get them” section has been split so it’s no longer a massive text wall. Two “Compatibility with…” sections and the “Can I make my incompatible keyboard compatible?” section were formed from it.

• Created “How do I find out if new Unicomp already has one?” section to explain how you can find out what controller your new Unicomp has without opening it.

• Created “How to fit them” section to explain what, in my opinion, is the best way to fit both the new controllers to their keyboards. This was in response to concerns that the Aristides (101-122 key controller) is too thick to fit existing Unicomp keyboards.

• Updated info in “How to get them” with the latest info on whether Mini Ms ship with the new controller internationally, and made some changes to the ordering instructions.

• Updated info in “Can I make my incompatible keyboard compatible?” section reflecting deskthority user jsheradin’s experience with modifying a 1996 Lexmark-made Model M to fit Aristides.