Just installed Warp Terminal Emulator. Its written in Rust. Has a AI and cloud components. Like what I am seeing so far.
Why would a terminal need AI or the cloud?
But but but… Everything has AI and is hosted somewhere in the cloud!
/s
I dunno I ask myself the same question. I think for its when you want to do a command but dont know the exact syntax.
I got sucked into the marketing of a Mike from a specific coder podcast and installed this.
I still can’t comprehend why I or anyone would want this?
After using Warp I feel unclean. Logging into a terminal emulator? Using AI for autocomplete? We already had intelligent shell completions… This all seems just like an upsell and bullshit B2B product, where one CEO gets rear-ended by the sales rep of another company.

So like when you just type the command without syntax to see how to use it or just add < help > after, but now you are told by an AI how to use it.
Got it
AI FTW!
/s
I feel the same way
I remember watching the video, and then reading the blurb of features for Warp, and every single “new feature” they bring to the table is something that I have already had in my bashrc dotfiles for a decade now.
Also the idea that you need an online account connected and logged in for half the flagship features to work is a non-starter.
Seriously how the heck am I supposed to get IT to let me use this thing at work when it LITERALLY wants to scan my terminal output and send it to the cloud for their third party AI to examine it? Uh ever heard of Infosec? What, you mean the same terminal where my ssh keys and aws credentials live? I am supposed to let that get beamed up to their super safe webserver? Yea no thanks.
the part that kills me is that I love Rust and I am a huge Rust fanboy and i love new terminal stuff but I cannot find a single reason to want this Warp terminal. Not a single feature is new or useful it seems.
I guess this:
answers this:
I just cannot stop imagining the carnage of accidentally doing cat ~/.aws/credentials with this thing active
cheat.sh.
put it somewhere in your $PATH.
usage :
:~$ cheat.sh sudo
sudo
Execute a command as another user
…
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$1" == "" ]
then
echo "you must enter a command to look up"
else
curl https://cheat.sh/$1
fi
Mike from the coder radio podcast is/was heavy on the mac stuff. That’s why he can put up with the upsell insert-crap-here that FOSS-advocates cannot abide.
It will do it preemptively for you, don’t worry.
Its not just FOSS, it basic security and trust issue. Additionally this isnt a tool, its a mandatory tool and service bundle.
So far access is free, but its closed source and it can be cut off or enshittified at any time.
Whats NOT to hate here?
Unless you deep desire is integrating cloud AI agent within your terminal, this tool has no differentiating feature from OSS tools.
How long until there is OSS tool that optionally integrates locally run LLM? I seriously doubt WTT will feature that anywhere outside highest premium level if ever.
Well all the things have been going AI. I had been playing with it for awhile and its pretty good. You can type commands as normal, you can ask questions, it can even help troubleshoot your system and give app reccommendations. I have also used it to write some scripts. Your mileage may vary on the last one tho