New system: X570 motherboard + Ryzen 9 (3900x or 3950x)

Hi Guys,

I’m having a hard time to decide which motherboard to go with my new system setup. I’m considering the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, and Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero.

Here are my requirements:

1. two GPU passthrough ( one for win10 vm and one for macos vm)
  2. two m.2 passthrough (one for win10 vm and one for macos vm)
  3. on-board SATA controller passthrough (for FreeNAS vm)
  4. Intel X550-T2 (pciex4) network card sr-iov passthrough (vf network interface for the vm)
  5. usb3 controller passthrough

Which motherboard should I buy? Other motherboard I can also consider?

Thanks,
Dennis

That’s a lot of PCIe lanes used. Sure you don’t want to consider Threadripper?

1 Like

But I think the three pcie-16 slots can provide up to 20 pcie lanes (8 + 8 +4), correct?

From those 3 boards i would say the Master probablly.
Because the Hero is simply too expensive for what it has to offer.
The Master has an overall better feature set over the E-strix i believe.

But yeah with that many devices to plugin, you might indeed want to consider Threadripper.
But of course that comes with a very hefty price.

But from those three boards, i would go with the Master.

Don’t you need another +4 for the NVMe devices? Normally one goes through the chipset and one goes throught the cpu, but that depends on the mobo. Also, maybe it doesn’t matter with PCIeV4?

I whipped one up on PC Partpicker just for fun. It wouldn’t let me add a second GPU. I wanted one AMD and one Nvidia which as I understand it, makes the PCIe passthrough easier with different IDs and such.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CdJFFG

About $3,300 but add another $500 for a second good GPU like a 2070 Super (or a 3070 in a month).

It doesn’t necessarily have to be one GPU from AMD and one from Nvidia, but just two different GPUs of any model.

But yeah, that’s a lot of stuff to hang off a consumer board without running into bandwidth problems or other shenanigans around the chipset.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.