New Speakers for A/V Receiver

Hello.
I just got a new turntable and A/V Receiver for my room. I have an Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable and an Onkyo TX-NR636 Receiver. I have my tv, pc, turntable, chromecast, and xbox hooked up to this receiver.

I’m looking for better speakers than the ones I currently use. They are old Acoustic Research powered speakers that are at least 15 years old. Since my receiver is an amp, I wouldn’t need powered speakers. I’m interesting in using a subwoofer if the price permits.

These will go on/by my desk in my room, so I won’t be very far from them.I will be using this mainly for music listening. My budget is around $400 or less.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks.

what are your connector types?

These are the only PASSIVE studio monitors I have any experience with, If you can use active, I can help you more.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-KRK-R6G3

For that price, I really like the martin logan 15s.

The tweeter they use is super silky and the bass is pretty solid for a book shelf speaker.

If you can get yourself to a bestbuy with a magnolia center they have them on display and you can give them a listen to see what you think.

Those are really the only modern and affordable book shelf speakers I like. Everything else that is any good is either insanely expensive, or old...........or both.

If you would be willing to get some vintage speakers, then I would hunt down a pair of celestion 3s. They are some of the best bookshelf speakers you can get your hands on for less than 500.

You could also try your luck and see if you can not find some audio note AX2s floating around.

I don't have a problem with active speakers but I figured that since I have a receiver that obviously has its own amp, I didn't need powered speakers. Is that right? I'm still learning.
The output connectors on my Onkyo use speaker wire, not RCA. Although I think banana plugs can be used.

Yeah, my apologies, My knowledge is more pro-based gear. I have not used raw wire in YEARS. lol. if you can use banana plugs, that might work well with the KRKs. However, there are people with more recent knowledge of consumer grade audio than myself. Though, I could tell you how to get up and running with a decent pro live setup for when you feel comfortable mixing live. In any case, practice and enjoy!

The best thing you can do is go to a home audio shop and audition some speakers with your receiver or a similar one. Don't buy without listening. Four things to never buy without testing: cars, beds, speakers and spouses. :)

For home theater I would not go with monitors. Movie and game audio is produced differently than music. The target speakes it is made for is theater speakers. @ProSonicLive

Yeah, he was wanting to use it for his turntables. This is where a pro setup would be much better used, but $400 is not going to do it. Sorry.

Yeah but he has a lot more than the turn table then it become a balancing act between theater vs music. I find horn loaded speakers to be a good comprimise with a decent subwoofer (PSB). But some people totally hate horns. So I always recommend auditioning equipment.

Yeah, it is never a good idea to do music with consumer grade speakers. Studio monitors work, small PA gear works better with appropriate power amp and , in this case, DJ mixer.