New Server Build Advice Request

Hey guys,
I was going to post this in the server forum, but I don’t seem to have access there. Anyway, I am in the planning phase for consolidating a few of my servers into one virtual server. They are:

1. A media server with all of the ‘*arrs’, some media management containers, and a few things like Mealie and Observium. Basically, it’s a docker host focused on serving and managing media. The containers that are not related, I would like to move off of that host OS. More on that later. This is a physical server running Ubuntu Server for the native openZFS package support. This platform resides in an ATX Mid Tower case. Storage is on an attached disk shelf. As such, this also works as a NAS on a separate zpool. I would separate that out into it’s own VM.

2. A Pterodactyl game server running on a late gen NUC quad with no hyperthreading. I play a lot of factory/builder/automation games that I like to both offload some of the CPU number-crunching and be always on in case friends want to hop in and build something. This primarily currently only runs Satisfactory, and it feels like it sometimes might not be super sufficient at it, though that is OK and might possibly be something to do with the fact that the server software from Coffee Stain is not necessarily fleshed out in a development sense. This server is virtual in an ESXi environment. No bells or whistles with passthrough devices. I would like to have multiple servers of different things running concurrently.

The criteria I have ( in no particular order ) for a new server are:

• Power: Obviously, the lower the idle power the better.
  • Form Factor: I would like it to fit in 2U. The disk shelf is pretty large and I only have 12U to work with in my rack. If I have to go 3U, I’m OK with it. I don’t care if it’s a consumer board of some kind as I do have a spare 3700X laying around that might fit the bill. I am a little hesitant to go the VMWare route if I use that platform, though.
  • Virtualization: I currently run two ESXi installs on two different NUCs. With the things going on at VMWare with Broadcom, I don’t know what direction they are going with the home licenses. I am open to suggestions on platforms. I would like it to be free or low cost at least. The VMs will likely be primarily Linux. My M$ VMs will stay on the NUCs.
  • Performance considerations: I may have 5 or 6 concurrent users streaming media. Almost all of that is direct play, so I don’t really see any problem there, though it might be a good idea to consider future expansion. Pterodactly is the main concern. Again, I want to fire up multiple game servers at the same time. Are there any performance impacts running it virtually that I am not aware of?
  • Expansion: I will likely also spin up another VM for other docker-based services I have. Also, move some VMs over that run services that might be a bit much on the NUCs and keep only VMS there for infrastructure and infrastructure management.
  • Budget: I’d like to keep it under $1000. ~$500 would be preferred, but that might be a tough price point.
  • I am not going to use UNRAID. I love that offering and peoples’ compassion for it, but I would like more granular control of things than it offers.
  • Network: I still have a gig network with a 48 port C3850 at its core. I do not have a 10 gig net module. I run redundant gig interfaces to the Ubuntu server. I am also considering upgrading things to at least 2.5 gig once I can find some compelling deals on 2.5 gig managed switches. That might be a ways off yet, but I would like to buy/build with that in mind.

If someone made it through all this, I appreciate the time you took to read it as well as any hardware recommendations you might have. If you think I missed something in the wall of text, please let me know. If you think I’m dumb, also please leave a comment. I can take it, and nobody thinks I’m dumber than I do.

Thanks!

I see 2 options, others maybe more.

• Asrock Rack X570D4U board:
    **upsides: cheap enough to stay within budget, reusing your still potent 8 core CPU
    **downsides: limited expansion options due to CPU PCIe limits

• going all EPYC
    **upsides: more cores and PCIe connectivity you’d ever wish for
    **downsides: not cheap, despite used prices dropping over the past year, although if shopped smart, a basic but still very potent EPYC system can be had for (well) under 1000$ (32 core, 128GB LDIMM RAM, proven Supermicro H11SSL mainboard, 2U cooler with fan).

Having said that, EPYC does have another drawback and that’s power consumption. Most of the CPU’s with decent core counts (24+) are 155W TDP at minimum. Watts mean heat, heat means noise. But that goes for the 3700 as well. Noctua may have a solution for that, but that’s an extra expense.

Something to think about over the weekend :wink:

HTH!

Hey, thanks Dutch_Master! Noise isn’t much of an issue for me, but I will definitely see what I can dig up concerning EPYC. That wasn’t even on my radar.

Have a great weekend yourself!

That board is kinda abandoned with no BIOS updates for over a year.

Given that AM4 is dead I wouldn’t spend too much money on it but something like Asrock X570 Pro4 (probably a better choice) or Asus ROG Strix B550-A Gaming will at least give you an up to date BIOS and Intel NIC.

Did you tell AMD? They just launched new CPU’s for that platform :rocket: :stuck_out_tongue:

No BIOS updates doesn’t mean that board is abandoned by Asrock, it’s just that the feature set is fairly complete for the supported CPU family.

1 Like

You’ve completely missed the AGESA updates for the past year or so?

I don’t have that X570 board :stuck_out_tongue: I do have the X470D4U board though. It has the 3.50 BIOS, but newer ones don’t accept my R7 1700 (non-X) CPU.

Heh, going to a 5700X would give you ~40-60% better performance which would be a nice boost :wink:

It would, but I already have the 1700 and it’s currently not in use :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, I also have a pair of 7551P EPYC systems (32c/64t) with 128GB RAM each, intended for a HA-cluster I’m building, neither are powered on either :money_with_wings:

That new lineup includes a 5700x3d if gaming is a focus on that machine as well.