New Sapphire Radeon 5700 Pulse, low FPS

Hi everyone,
I am in a pickle and I do not know what to do, or how to TS this problem further… I hope anyone can shine a light at the next possible steps.

So I bought the above card, Sapphire Radeon 5700 Pulse, to replace my old card, R9 270X, as it was dying and overheating.

I play WoW, both Classic and BFA, and some overwatch and HoTS.
All these games are not too demanding, and I’ve been able to play them (except Overwatch) on max settings with my old card, getting between 30 and 50 FPS

I replaced the card, and I am barely seeing an increase in FPS, in low pop zones it is good, and I DO see over 100 FPS, but in low pop zones its doing the same as my old card? I get between 40 and 60, but not over this much.
I was expecting quite an increase, and I can’t for the life of me, figure out what the problem is, is there a problem, or is simply my other HW too old?

My other HW:
AMD FX-8350 (the CPU is never running on max, always around 40- 50% load, does this matter?)
ASAS MSA99FX pro 2.0 ( The PCIe is 2,0, the card supports 4, does this matter?)
24 GB DDR3 1,6GHz ( I know its not that great, could this be my bottleneck?)

The games and OS are on SSD, and I am playing on a MSA MAG271C
Freesync is enabled.

Any help is very much appreciated !

** I have also removed the old drivers before installing the card.

That is quite the performance jump.

Bottleneck found!

I can give you numbers for HotS and Overwatch from a 5700XT/1700x pair. Highest settings (I think called “extreme”) on 2560x1080 gives me 40 to 120FPS.
Especially HotS (and SC2) is very single core performance dependant. So you will get bottlenecked to hell on the 5700.

Maybe, but yes. I am on a 6300 and I am CPU limited as the heavy machinery cores from AMD are just not good at pushing pixels in the modern day. Especially for your card, it the 5700 is starved for work.

In other situations, Yes. but right now, it is your CPU. You are not pushing enough data to the card to saturate PCIe 2.0 x16 I bet.

For the heavy machinery cores, you are not doing too bad in this department. Not really and issue in your case though.

Like @MazeFrame stated. You need to get off of AM3+ to get any real performance out of that card. You can upgrade to Zen1 for pretty cheap right now. I am personally waiting for Zen 2+ or Zen 3 for the desktop.

1 Like