New Ryzen workstation

Hi guys,
finally I had time to build my new Ryzen workstation. I also had some time today for make a quick CPU stess test and here are the results after 10 minutes:

Are the stats normal for this CPU?

I’ve only been able to look at the CPU sensors since my mobo’s SuperIO chipset (Gigabyte X570 Elite, see [1] for sensors-detect output) seems not to be supported by Linux yet (my current kernel version is 5.6.12). Does someone provide patches for it?

[1]

Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'...               No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               No
Trying family `ITE'...                                      Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x8688
1 Like

Yeah that’s pretty normal. 3700 I’m guessing?

It’s a 3800X.

Did you update the bios fully?

Yep, I updated to F12f. It was released on March.

well you’re not quite boosting to your desired speeds, which could be from running a little warm. Not that unusual.

What case and cooler/fan setup are you running?

A Fractal Design Celsius S36, two 140mm intake fans and a 140mm exhaust fan. The Celsius radiator is mounted of the top of the chassis (a Phanteks Evolv ATX TG). I used Noctua NH-1 as thermal paste.

That might be the issue.

Yeah, thats not a great case for airflow. Your temps will suffer for that. Perhaps you might intake from the top.

Yes, I know. I looked for a replacement for the front panel to allow more air in but to no avail.

The top cracks are even smaller than the one on the front. In summer I usually remove the front panel and keep only the dust filter on.

I think this is just what it is for you then. Given those numbers are under a ‘benchmark’ its probably not realistic to expect it to operate at 84-85 normally anyway but your temps are not that crazy from my personal experience.

1 Like

Usually it stays on 50-70 degrees Celsius on normal workload (I am a software developer). On Idle it sits around 40-45 degrees.

Thats pretty typical. My 3900x is very similar though I’m on a full custom loop.

Mine is very close to that as well on a Noctua NH-U9S in push/pull. Probably better airflow compared to the evolve but a bit spikey sometimes because lack of thermal mass.

There is a low power setting in the UEFI (I think that is not vendor specific but an AMD thing). That would limit the chip to 65W, effectively making it a 3700. Clock spikes will still ramp up massively but 100% load will be a bit slower. Maybe try that?

Do you mean ErP?

I don’t think so. But I can’t remember the correct name.

I am going to check it out. Gigabyte UEFI seems very… slim… at least compared to the ASUS UEFI of the old mobo (MAXIMUS IX Hero).

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention: I use “performance” as power governor. Should I change it?

That’s windows land… not my territory. :wink:

I think I found it:

I’m on the Crosshair VIII Hero and I can say without a doubt that you are better off with gigabyte here.

:rofl: non at all. I use Linux. Thanks for the link.