New PFSense Build

Hi All! I learned how to build my first PFSENSE box thanks for a Level 1 Video from a few years ago. My latest router (Build 3) is a couple of years old and based on a DDR3 Dell OptiPlex 5040. I’m upgrading a generation to the OptiPlex 5050 thanks to a facebook sale I found. It’s slightly newer, and I already have a never used PSU and fans for this model, so it’s mostly a refresh. I’m currently on 1G x 40M cable with fiber coming later this summer. Any thoughts on the following specs?

PF Sense 2.7x Beta (for Intel X520 support)
Dell OptiPlex 5050 SFF
Intel Core i5 6500T (might pick up a 7700T i7?)
16GB DDR4
512GB NVME SSD
Intel X520 DA2 Nic (Uplinks to 10Gbit switch via DAC)
Intel i225V 2.5 Gbit Nic (WAN for current cable modem)
Adding an 80mm noctua fan for intake at the fornt of the SFF case.
Added a 40mm fan to the Intel X520 nic.

Unless you want to do like DPI a plain ARM SoC will do just fine for 1Gbit so it’s not like you need something overly powerful.

It’s not so much a “what do I need” situation as it is a “this seems like it will look cool” kind of thing.

1 Like

I don’t know much in terms of the software side of things. But I used to work a computer recycling center. Got a lot of Dell Optiplex 3050s and 5050s from businesses getting rid of them. Good machines, rarely did any have anything dead in them. So it should be a safe thing to run for a while. :slight_smile:

You should install ZenArmor and play around with making it a NGFW. Make use of that processor on it.

1 Like

Update!

After a few days of testing, I’m very pleaded with my newest router build. All Recycled parts thanks to a Mix of Amazon and Ebay. This is in prep for an upcoming 2Gibit fiber upgrade.
The 2.5 Gbit nic is so I can pull everything possible out of our existing “gigabit” cable connection.
The 2nd SFP+ port on the X520 DA-2 will host an SFP+ ONU later.
Intel Optane Drives are super durable with 16GB being MORE than enough for a PF sense install.

Specs:
PF Sense 2.7 RC
Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF
Intel Core i5 6500T
8GB DDR4
16GB Intel Optaine SSD
Intel x520DA2 10 Gbit SFP+ Nic
Intel i225V 2.5Gbit Nic
Noctua NF-A8 80mm Case Fan
Noctua NF-A4x20 Nic FAN

1 Like

I have a Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF that I plan to use as a pfSense router. However, I’m facing limited connectivity when using an Ethernet connection at the intended setup location. Can I install an M.2 Wi-Fi card for wireless connectivity, and if so, which specific models are compatible with pfSense?

As far as I know Pfsense does not recognize WiFi cards.

The netgate documentation is a wealth of information
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/wireless/index.html

1 Like

You’re better off (if you’re looking for an open source solution) to grab a decent router that supports OpenWRT and use that for wifi (AP mode).