New NAS system intel nic braodcom sata controller needed or just for tinfoil heads

yo fellow 0 and 1.

i will first list the hardware that is currently there.
old NAS.
phenom 2 x4 955
asrock z77 board
realtek nic
7X3 tb of a brand i forget they are shucked.
8 GB none ECC ram
a PCIe card with sata ports (bootable)
a kingston ~64 GB boot ssd
nas4free using an UFS raid 5
i want to take the data of and i don’t know.

new NAS with temporally hardware for testing. speed test basic HDD tests you name it:
i3 4130
ASRock B85 Pro4
4X12 TB WD white shucked
24 GB none ECC ram
SLC sundisk 240gb
intel nic
freenas is installed i didn’t do anything with it.

now the fun begins i check the freenas and nas4free system recommendation and strongly intel something and there hardware guide is broadcom or bust intel inc or bust intel CPU or bust and i’m one of these terrible “why” people so i ask why.
that turned into a mess.
there was stuff said “Shenzhen back alley” and i don’t care anymore.
i took from this that freebsd has “bad” driver support so i just try my luck linux in the hope i have betterhardware support for a my new nas system potential hardware. the fact that you “can’t” partition a disk where freenas runs on to use a L2ARC with the rest of the SSD is a good enough reason anyway.
and i’m scared.

so how much is accurately still true.
is realtek still a major risk is it data corruption or just a crash?
are the chipset sata connector still a risk
is AMD still bad supported on freebsd is it better on linux?

is my old nas a ticking time bomb should i not copy the data of until i replaced the AMD system with let’S say the i3 4130 with intel nic. see they managed to make me start crafting an tinfoil head.

now the part what i want to do.
getting new cheap hardware with ECC support, ZFS and a samba server depending on the speed test results an L2ARC.
the samba server only takes a single thread but does that mean ZFS doesn’t use a lot of CPU cycles of other cores to write the data? is it AVX2 heavy?

the hardware i was looking at.
a R3 1200 50 bucks
a AM4 board with 6 sata like B450 for 50-100 bucks
16-32 unbuffered ECC RAM

a board with an intel onboard chip is making this more expensive but an intel inc addon card for ~25 bucks not so much.
do these AMD board run headless?

I’ve had Realtek NICs that worked fine in Linux, so they aren’t an automatic bad idea. As long as you have a return window in case that you do have a problem then try it out. If it works, then it works.

That said I built my AMD NAS with an ASUS x370-PRO board and it has an Intel NIC, and it can upload and download at 111 MB/s (990 Mbps with TCP/IP and SMB protocol overhead) with no problems.

It looks like those x370s are available for about $150. They have 8 SATA ports and support ECC which is nice. Not saying you need one though.

I don’t know about headless. I threw an older GPU into mine and leave it without a monitor most of the time. I never tried taking the GPU out. I’ve definitely been told that some boards will boot without a GPU and some boards will not, but I do not know which boards those are.

All that I could find in Google was this https://www.zdnet.com/article/realtek-network-driver-silently-corrupts-data/ which is from 2007, but I guess people have long memories.

If there were similar problems you could test for them by transferring several multiple gigabyte files and doing checksum compares on all of them to make sure that they match. md5sum, sha1sum or similar tools in Linux.

that’S pretty easy in my region.

the board isn’t produced anymore as far as i can see.
i can’t add link so a link showing out of stock ASUS x370-PRO should be here

the next board with 8 sata and intel nic is 150 or other x370 boards.

and i guess it’s not a good idea to get cutting edge hardware?
i have a x570 board in my gaming PC so i kinda know that the release was not up to the task…

ok i try this creating a torrent from a couple of files and transferring in my local network followed by a forced recheck should do the trick.

i just i just wait for now and see what other user have to say about headless.

thanks for your time.

No, it’s an older board. But I thought since you were planning to use a Ryzen 1200 it would work fine and it seems that some places still have them in stock.

I found an Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Prime-X370-Pro-Ryzen-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B06WD4N297 but I don’t know, maybe it’s not available in your region.

I am running my SSD NAS with the Asus Prime X370 Pro as well. Works great. Can’t really say a lot about the NIC though, I am running a 10Gbit card. Ryzen headless is no problem, my router was running like that for a year or so. Both those systems are running the R3 1200 and ECC memory.

so my best bet is asus right now.
and Asus Prime X370 Pro is confirmed to run headless.
i may get my hands on one of these but it’s hard.

has someone a word to this?
that’s pretty much the last think i really like to know but i get the impression here that even a r3 1200 is a total overkill for this.

thanks for all the useful information so far.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.