New NAS and maybe Consolidating my two Rigs

Good Day everyone,

I’ve read quiete a lot already on similar Use-cases but I still can’t decide between a few things so I would like to ask for help/opinions from you guys.

About me: I’m 25 and a SysAdmin at a Major Company in Austria, so I know at least a thing or two. I also graduated in Biomedical Engeneering and used SolidEdge a lot during School and want to get back to it.

My Current Setup:

Main PC:

• i7 5960x
  • Asus Rampage V Extreme with 64 GB of Ram
  • 1 TB NVME
  • 2 TB Spinning Rust
  • GTX980ti (still the same Card I bought in school back than…)

NAS:

• 4U Server case
  • i5 8500
  • Asus Prime b350m-a
  • 16GB RAM
  • 6x HDD
  • 1 NVME as Cache
  • and 1 SATA SSD which I can’t use 'cause my Mobo doesn’t have enough Ports
  • 10 Gbit SFP+ card which takes up the only full size pcie slot
  • I have a HBA but can’t use it because there is no expansion possibility on the board, 10Gig takes priority for me here.

I want to expand my Nas with more Storage and more Performance as I often face the Problem of the CPU beeing pinged at 100%.
My Main OS on the NAS is Unraid which I quiete like and would prefere to keep.
I have a few VMs running, Mostly Windows and 1 Linux Distro which I often change to try new things and so on.
As one might guess, it’s a little too much for my poor 6 core CPU hence the Upgrade.
Of cause I have a few Dockers running as well, mainly Plex, sabnzb, jDownloader, homebridge, and nextcloud. All the other Software is running in a VM.

What I want to do:

• ESXI or Proxmox with Unraid in a VM
  • add my HBA for more Storage
  • Give my VMs more Cores (whithout overprovisioning them) and Ram
  • later on add a SQL VM for test purposes and cuntinue learning on my free time
  • a VM to get the Kafka lab installed to try and understand it a little better since we will be using it in the not so distant future

An interesting Idea came to my mind that I would love to consolidate my two Systems.
So Virtualize my Gaming PC as well with full GPU Passthrough. (that would allow me to safe a little bit of Space since our Apartment isn’t too big)

So I’m probably going with an Epyc 7302P (I can get it at a good price locally) which would suffice for the near Future as I don’t have a lot of Money to Spare (Marriage coming up and planning for a house)
Most VMs won’t be running all the time, just when I need them.

My Problem is that I can’t decide on the Motherboard for the Epyc
I have found the following Options Used that are in my Price Range:

• SuperMicro H11ssl-i r2.0 - EPYC v1/v2; I know pretty BareBones for a Server Board but would Support what I plan to do and has IPMI; only PCIe 3.0
  • Asus KRPA-U16 - EPYC v2/v3; PCIe 4.0 on two slots, less physical PCIe slots but a OCP 2.0 spot for a network card and a lot of oculink connectors. no idea how good their managment software is.

SO:

1. Do you guys see any Reason to go with one over the other?

2. Problems with Consolidating the two Systems? I play mostly in 1440p or 4k Story games (don’t play online very much) so Latency isn’t that noticable as far as I have understood it.

3. Proxmox or ESXI?

Any Input is welcome and appreciated!
I’ve done some research, and yes Epyc is mostly Overkill right now, but maybe I have overlooked something so thats why I’m here. TR is out of my Price-Range btw…

Looking forward to your Answers.

Best Regards
Thomas

Hi,
with Proxmox you have ZFS and Samba already in your host system, hence no need to virtualize a NAS, at least if you do not need the functionality of Truenas.
For convenience install Cockpit or Webmin, depending on what else you need.

ESXI without Vsphere is a bit basic, not bad but since they belong to Broadcom I try to avoid them.

I had a couple of Supermicro Boards and has had no problems with it so far.

I would recommend the h12ssl-i-bulk, it is Epyc 7003 compatible, maybe in 3-4 years you want a 7443P.

I can’t say anything about ASUS server boards and most likely I will never buy one as long as Supermicro has the right board for me.

Regards

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.