New Monitor Woes

So I got a Benq XL2420TE to use as a second monitor for my laptop wile I am at home. However I am having problems getting it to run at 1920x1080 at 144Hz. I ordered this mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable with it so I could use it at 1920x1080 at 144Hz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CAGDUA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now the problem is that it wont always show the full resolution and full refresh rate in either the Nvidia control panel or the Windows change resolution screen. Most the time the Nvidia control panel will show 1920x1080 at 60Hz under the TV resolutions witch never go beyond 60Hz but wont even show 1920x1080 at all under PC resolutions. It will work sometimes but after a restart or a wake from hibernation it stops showing up like its supposed to. I am suspicious of the cable however there was only a handful of the cables I needed and this one had the best reviews. I have tried a custom resolution but that always just makes both screens black and never return to normal without starting in low resolution mode.  

Is it possibly a problem with the port on my laptop or monitor, or is it almost beyond a reasonable doubt the cable?
If it is most likely the cable is there a good one I can get from a well known manufacture?