New Linux user seeks distro with as much hardware control options as possible

Thanks for the info!

THANKS! Frankly a lot of the links you listed are already topics in my mind that I know I need to read about to get a much better understanding of the OS and what people are TALKING ABOUT! :slight_smile:

I think as noob I get to ignore the distro hopping bit for now as I wanted to try 2 or 3 that are basically different lines so I get the feel. But, I won’t be distro hopping simply because of the look and feel of the GUI. And, I do different things away from the computer so my distro testing will be at a slow pace, as all the other things I do in my life away from a computer are just as important. My age slows me down a little too but it’s all good, and as I’ve read a few times, patience is important.

1 Like

Youll find quickly that distro hopping becomes annoying. Its interesting thats how I settled on fedora… I wanted something to do what I ask and get out of my way. DNF is slow af but thats fine.

I wish you luck. Tell ya what… Dont get to radically deep into it. Try to keep an open mind to all the approaches you make. Theres gonna be quite a few toxic people on each distros community who are best to ignore.

one last link for you (from the same guy who did the distro hopping video):

^^ He made this a year after the distro hopping video

I really do sincerely believe Arch is the unchallenged champion of the desktop/workstation linux distros. Not necessarily the best for servers, though.

That’s it! That’s all I have to say. I’m an arch fanatic, but I’m gonna shut up now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I definitely am going to get around to it, but it seems like the easier path right now, which in all fairness is most likely to keep me on a growing path with Linux is starting with Ubuntu or something based on that. I’m certainly not in a position to debate distros, but there does seem to be a consensus (for whatever that could possibly mean in the world of Linux) that those are, at least, good for beginners. Good, being a relative term. :slight_smile:

There I think I said that about as good as I can. No really, thanks for the info because it puts a challenge to me that I may not have considered before, and it re-enforces my notion that I need to try out the main flavors of Linux, and really test them out, and, even after forming an opinion, giving time to really test out these flavors, understanding that things change over time. So even after 10 - 12 months I say, “I like Debian”, I remember that it’s only a snapshot in time, and in 1.333333333333333 years there can be enough change that maybe I want to revisit the other main flavors.

I have one advantage in that I have machines kicking around where I can test, as I’ve always built my computers going back to the mid 90s, the first time I bought the parts for my first computer, so I have hardware kicking around that is always within the realm of what people are still using.

My first move though is to get 2 machines moved over to Linux doing what I need in the least painful way possible. I’ll know within a month if Mint is going to get me there with machine 1. I’d know faster but I do other things in life other than being in front of a computer.

Peace dude.

I want to make it clear that I am by no means criticizing your choice to use some of the more popular beginner distros. I totally understand where you’re coming from with that. I just wanted to impart my thoughts/feelings about Arch that I wish people had articulated to me years ago as I would have avoided a lot of pain as I got more advanced as a user. Good luck on your journey and if you need any more advice or assistance with anything, don’t be afraid to ask!

Its definitely a good distro that being said for things that are say proprietary or programs that have support…arch is rarely on the list. I can think of a few… Keysight ADS… mmm MATLAB … etc

Not that im suggesting it makes it a bad distro or that the OP uses these

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATLAB Looks like there’s a pretty extensive wiki page on Matlab. I don’t have any experience with it, though. I do have some proprietary things that I do use and I have gotten all the support I ever needed from the Arch wiki

I read it a while ago basically its a conglomerate of fixing what is a very broken install haha :slight_smile:

I guess the over arching point (LOL) is that if you need support stay on the other distros if you dont feel free to explore

shilling arch to a new linux user

IDK, I would rather have my distro get out of the way and let me fix crappy programs that I need to use than rely on support that is probably only good for certain versions of said program, and anything new as far as support is at the behest of the company. The arch wiki is public in that anyone can edit it, but there are stringent guidelines to keep it clean. So any time there’s an issue it can by covered by any user who first discovers it, and it can trigger discussion between other users where the solutions are further refined.

Ive never seen arch as the get out of the way distro but rather the one I have to nurse to proper operation but I also dont see proprietary as crappy either so I guess we have different opinions of software haha

I don’t think it’s that outrageous. Everyone is different. And anyone who has actually used Arch will tell you that the difficulty of the installation process is WAY overstated, and that once the installation process is complete, everything else is pretty dang smooth sailing.

I’ve never had anything close to the feeling that I’ve had to “nurse” arch to work properly. Have you actually used it?

Commit pacman -Syu

1 Like

7 times yes one time extensively for over 6 months until I got tired of little things breaking and I moved to something more well stable and far less bleeding edge. Bleeding edge is very over rated. That said we are thread jacking. If you or I or @Adubs wish to continue the discussion I advise somewhere more appropriate

1 Like

--force

1 Like

Should I make a thread called “Official Arch Chads vs LTS virgins Megathread” ? :stuck_out_tongue: jk jk

Im going to be frank. This is the kind of stuff while I realize is a joke… is not what our community here wants. Not to mention completely OFF topic. I am not speaking at you or against you but rather in general here so let me set that tone.

I know that most people are getting to the point where they stand against it. For far too long the Forum has been lax on the Linux distro vs distro and Windows vs Linux and GNU vs proprietary shit shows.

I know its important to people but people are going to run what they like and it does not make them bad. Its also not an idea we would like to foster. I envision that the forum would tend to help people with what they have. The central idea being at play her is pragmatism over revolution-ism type help. Ive been on the forum for longer than my account indicates. Ive seen for too long the stuff that comes out of it. It doesnt matter which side provokes the result is the same. The person who thought xyz was cool or needed help on abc either gets fed up and leaves or never gets the help and never becomes productive.

I know that from basically here on out I am going to be monitoring threads more closely for it and try to steer it away.

its also something id like @dlb123 to realize he is going to encounter especially on other places such as arch forums or ubuntu forums or the communities of each distro. I should hope he has patience with it and realizes its a bunch of rather passionate people about the thing they hold dear. There is nothing wrong with that but focusing on pragmatism should be at the forefront.

1 Like

Enough.

Any more responses that are off topic will result in action from on high.

1 Like