New Home Network Recommendations?

I have not, but the hardware I have laying around should be plenty to run anything we want. I think the best cpu I have laying around is a 4770. So I assume openwrt is still out of the picture because I am aiming for gigabit speeds. I am aiming for as close to plug n play as possible. Since I had old hardware laying around I figured buying a nic or two would be better and cheaper than buying a good aio router that would cost up to $250 usd. I was thinking about pfsense but opnsense seems to be more updated and I have a buddy that uses opnsense.

I would love to save on electricity but I would rather have the best performance. I could also throw a modern psu in it that is 80+bronze. I think the pc I have is just a generic psu that is likely 300w or less.

No it’s definitely not out of the picture. 4770 is a massive massive massive (like a neutron star type massive) overkill for mere puny 1Gbps.

It won’t break a sweat.

1 Like

Are you suggesting to run openwrt instead of opnsense on one of my old pc’s? I am aiming for as close as possible plug n play setup and forget type.

I feel like my Intel Core i3-2120 should be good too. I would prefer to use that.

That would be a downgrade in terms of functionality and usability

1 Like

so opnsense or pfsense would be best it seems like if i dont want to buy an aio router.

1 Like

If you’re on x86-64/amd64 yes

1 Like

thanks. seems like I will be doing one of those then. Just have to find a good gigabit nic.

1 Like

any 2.5 gigabit nic recommendations for opnsense?

1 Like

You’re actually asking what network cards have good drivers in FreeBSD.

Your best bet is to check what chipset a card is based on, most commonly found rtl8125b and i225 should work fine in latest opnsense (22.7)

i225 b3 revision is your best bet but no idea what external card uses it

Thanks. I have found a gigabit nic that uses I350(which is on the supported list), but would like to be a little more “future proof” by getting 1.25 or 2.5 gbps. Especially since I will be paying for 1200mbps down.

Found a I225:

any 2.5g switch recommendations? I need at least 8 or more ports. I found these:

If I used one of my better pc’s I have laying around like my i7 4770, I am curious if I could use it for a plex server and opnsense router at the same time. Maybe other uses as well?

Owner of XGS1210-12 here. I like it, but I am disappointed in its capabilities. Not that it lacks them, the OS underneath is likely more powerful, but Zyxel chose to restrict it to a web gui only, that is very limiting. It runs a SSH server, I can telnet port 22 and it replies with the ssh version, but the problem is that the switch uses different credentials for the web GUI. In fact, it only has a password for the web GUI, so the ssh server is locked. I did not manage to break into it (although I didn’t really try, other than using some default credentials from the internet).

It is a good switch though, gets the job done. I only used the gigabit ports thus far, still looking for a 2x 2.5GbE card to go along with my router.

The forbidden router is tempting you I see.

Yes you could run Router/Plex/Nas all on one box

http://www.iocrest.com/index.php?id=2290

should be plenty good for home, also could look at 10g cards most will do lower speeds

sweet thanks. i have the hardware to run it so no need for virtualization. too complex and past my knowledge. I would like to simplify whenever possible.

1 Like

You get the power savings on stuff that with home use will be idling most of the time anyway.

> 8125B
Realtek, no thanks :slight_smile:

I used realtek in the past and they ended up being fine, but I would rather just get some intel stuff. Besides, my recent experience with a realtek 8825bu (which is supposed to work well on android) managed to be a disaster on FreeBSD and I had to install a driver from github to make it work on linux. Now, 81xx are a bit older and probably better supported, so if someone else sees this post, don’t be discouraged to buy it.

Its really not bad anymore, but all good just giving options

deff more picky

1 Like