New Home Network Recommendations?

Re-read:

I never had a bad experience with realtek besides this wifi chip, but I would rather be cautious. Linux / OpenWRT would very likely word well with realtek, unless you hit a bug that tanks performance in certain scenarios (which as you mentioned, not as bad anymore).

1 Like

reading is hard mkay

1 Like

if i virtualize?

less power used at the wall, able to flex cpu to where its needed etc. Down side is single point of failure. Hence why earlier I said have a backup aio router so you dont have downtime if you need to fix it. But honestly its not that crazy risky if you arent doing crazy stuff. (running like 3vms isnt scary)

if i want to do nas/plex/router on one device would i have to virtualize? the power saving is nice but I also would like it to be less complex and easier to setup.s

Hypervisors are pretty simple and your not going to be doing anything super exotic most likely. Its up to you, maybe try out proxmox/esxi/xcp-ng I mean its not like it costs you anything but time if you have spare hardware sitting around.

i have plenty of spare hardware sitting around. But have never heard of those.

1 Like

It’s going to be far from your plug n play requirement and there’s lot more that can break. I would recommend keeping it on a separate box in general.

You are referring to doing a nas/router/plex all in one? I still do not want to do virtualization if possible.

MIPS did nothing wrong! j/k
I love MIPS but yes, it is at a developmental dead end. That does not mean it is not usable. I still have quite a few things based on MIPS. It is hella power efficient as well.

The i225 Is supported in newer versions of FreeBSD. opnSense does have the driver for it but pfSense does not. I think it is still experimental though.

Why not just buy one of the earlier linked appliances if you are having such a hard time finding something. You can always resell it later if you figure that it is overkill?

What are you referring to? I think I have found everything I need. The main reason is to cut costs and to put old hardware to use that otherwise would be just taking up space.

I was curious if it was possible to have one pc do all three without issue and virtualization. I have enough hardware for all use cases if they individually need there own.

My bad, I forgot about that. There was a similar thread like this that mentioned vendor appliances

In that case, go for it and please update us on your progress.

Yes, I’m referring to all in one “solutions”

meaning buy the all in one solution or am i able to make my all in one solution from old pc?

Build a beefy enough system and run the applications on the bare metal. no need to virtualize. Keep in mind some solutions expect virtualization thus you may be compiling from source or running custom configuration to make it all work together.

the best i got laying around is a 4770 and 16gb ram and ill throw sata ssd in. i prefer to avoid virtualization if possible. and it would be great to do a nas/plex/router all in one so i can make the electricity worth it more.

Use another box (preferably lower end (more energy efficient)) as router and that one as NAS/Plex-box.

i was planning on using i3 for the router. but am willing to use the i7 4770 if you think it can do all 3 without issue. I dont have anything technically more energy efficient unless i put an 80+ bronze in, but they are dell oem psu’s like 300ish watts. would love to put all 3 uses into one system