My JVC HARX-900 finally died and it now looks like a good opportunity to upgrade my PC audio setup. I am thinking of going with a pair of headphones along with an amp/DAC setup. I would like to have to have a headphone amp that has a pre-amp output for my crappy Logitech speakers.
Here are a few things I am set on/open to:
- I would like to go with open back headphones.
- I would like to try an amp with valves. (if i don’t like it, I’ll sell it)
- I’m open to building a kit. Maybe I could find a way to incorporate nixie tubes for fun.
- Phono input would be cool but not necessary.
- $400 budget. I’m fine with going for a DAC later.
Here is what I found so far:
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm (Is there a reason go go with the premium?)
Schiit Vali amp.
Schiit Modi DAC. (I’ll get this later. I can tolerate Supreme FX for a bit.)