New GPU

its not a monitor, its a TV

I'm actually looking at monitors on Amazon, and they are really not expensive to buy, I may make the purchase before looking into a gpu

The most overlooked component to a quality display experience is the monitor. A TV is no good at all for gaming, at basically any resolution. A monitor would be a great place to start. Pick a monitor you want/can afford, and then choose your GPU based on what you need for gaming at that resolution.

To be honest I didn't think a monitor/tv made a difference for gaming, what change would a monitor change for gaming? the TV I currently use seems to works almost perfect for gaming, does it improve the performace of games? I don't understand.

A TV is fine as long as it is 60hz 1080p or higher. People tend to prefer monitors as for the price they are typically more premium. Most TVs are locked to 720p 30hz.

And the fact that even a 1080p TV is typically alot larger than a monitor of the same resolution, the picture is likely to look fuzzy especially up close.

Yeah, when you use either VSR or DSR (rendering an image at a higher resolution, then scaling it down to fit the native resolution of the monitor) it is not quite perfect. I first tested this feature on a 1680x1050 monitor, and I found that 1920x1080 was quite blurry. 2560x1440 looked great, and 4k just reduced my framerates - it didn't look any better than 1440p.

If you are going to invest in a new GPU, I would shop for one that will be able to sufficiently handle whatever native resolution your new monitor has. 1080p is a fairly common resolution now, and it still looks pretty good. Enthusiast gamers are moving towards 1440p, but they are paying the premium.

Response times, good gaming monitors can have a response time on 1-2ms (milliseconds) while a TV might have a 250ms response time. It doesn't seem like much but it can make a huge difference in fast paced games.

well

Nvidia cards have a very nice feuture called dynamic super resolution, which let you push higher res quality on a lower res monitor.
I think that the GTX970 isnt a bad choice at all in this case.

+1 for a 970, DSR does work quite well and will serve you ok until you (possibly) get a higher resolution display. That and without knowing what psu you have, you should be safe with a 970 (>= 28A @12v, 500w)