New GPU engineering company?

It will never happen, it's not the hardware end that is the problem, but rather the software and drivers that are the issue. Basically all modern day games are DOA unless properly patched by AMD or NVidia, and given their 10+ year head start on Direct X and OpenGl, it will be near impossible for a new player to enter.

This is a good point, the only other people to go to are inde developers but to engineer a gpu you will need allot more money than the inde people will offer.

The issue with the Xeon Phi comparison is that the Phi is not a GPU. The Phi is a essentially just 60+ Pentium MMX dies smushed together on a carrier that interfaces with GDDR5. Obviously there is more to it than that, but any way you slice it it isn't a GPU.

Intel does have 2+ decades of experience with GPUs, going back to the 80's even with VPU controllers and small 2D pipeline VPUs. The problem is that Intel knows the GPU market is saturated even with only two manufacturers playing. The Phi entered the game because it does some things more efficiently than GPUs and there was enough push by those consumers to make it happen.

Not much future in dedicated GPUs. Most things move toward integration. This wont happen with silicon wafer design, we will see silicon die off after around 10nm therefore getting into the GPU business is not highly desirable until the next big thing medium. Once we get into the next medium who knows if dedicated GPUs will be necessary.

I believe the next generation computer will have integrated GPU/processor that is very powerful and can dynamically allocate those resources accordingly. Ram and Hard drives will also be one in the same. Essentially you will only need a Processor and a hard drive to make up your computer.

These companies keep focusing design on the wrong sides of cards. 99% of windowed cases show the top and back of the card, but most deck out the front. Also, when they do LED lighting, they choose a color. this fragments their customer base. If you put in an LED, just make it RGB and make the plastic white so it can match any build. I would also like to see black PCI slot-brackets. And every card above $300 should come with a backplate.

1 Like

I wouldn't mind set colors, but I have one thing I would absolutely love to see.

Around the edge of the card, embedded or recessed EL wire in the cooler shroud. Would look especially sexy on EVGA's newest kingpin card.

As for colors, just allow people to choose the colors. Not sure if RGB EL wire is a thing.

No, as far as i know, there is no RGB EL wire. the phosphor color is the phosphor color. The cards are rigid, and wouldn't benefit from EL wire. EL wire is used in applications that more or need to be applied in curves, etc. They could simply use LEDs and a long band of plastic. my motherboard has something just like that. hell, brings to mind the Bitfenix collossus case.

so do you think then Nvidia would have to make a CPU?

They already do; the Tegra series

The biggest hurdle for creating chips of any kind whether it be CPUs, GPUs, Nano-sensors, ect is having a cleanroom. These are ludicrously expensive and have high upkeep. A 24 in Water main is not uncommon along with the chemicals like BOE and HF acid. This is why CPU/GPUs are not cheap. Sure it costs around 10$ per chip or something, but it also costs several thousand per waffer and has to take into account the yield rate. Nvdia has their own lab while AMD has an RnD lab with Sapphire mass producing them. Intel has the biggest share of the graphics market by far with Nvdia taking second.

Keeping this in mind, to do a startup to produce desktop GPUs would require a multi-billion $ investment. On the other hand hiring a team to engineer the GPU and offloading the actual manufacturing to someone like Global Foundries might pose a real answer. The question is do we really want a 3rd discreet GPU manufacturer? I would be happy to see one, but I certainly won't rush out to go and buy one. Also, a third manufacturer may not lower prices of all cards, certainly not at the start. They will be more expensive as they try to make a name for themselves and make enough profit to potentially expand their operation. The way I see it, silicon will continue to try to further integrate the CPU and GPU.

Personally I would like to see some new technologies come into play such are Graphene (And the other -ene varients), Black arsenic phosphorous, and possibly optical computing with the germanium-tin lasers.

from my limited knowledge and view of the topic at hand, i believe the market is not big enough to support a 3rd GPU manufacturer, not now at least. With pc gaming growing this could change in the future but with 2 manufacturers currently one of them is already struggling to keep up.

Like a desktop CPU

Intel should make a discrete GPU.

I know some people at Intel and they wont because mobile is a better investment for their money.

They could do both.

Money is finite, there is only so many dollars to invest and they would make more money investing all their money that they invest into mobile.

I'd be surprised if Intel had any problems funding its projects. Besides, I don't think it's really a matter of just pouring money into something and getting linearly better results with each dollar spent.

Intel has kicked this Idea around several times but still has yet to enter the discrete card market. They are the largest GPU maker but all of the chis go into the on board stuff on your PC

Doesn't look as good as thin EL wire. You can always see the individual LED's behind the plastic.

The Only company (besides the main players Intel IBM) I can think of that has the genius power and money would be Google. They have genius programmers so they could bust out some drivers with ease and the money to buy out a chipmaker to start manufacturing their products. I could see a Google GPU in the future. They also have Tons and Tons of R&D cash on has as well.