New gfx for 1440p gaming

I actually never bought the card for 1440p gaming, I just switched to a 1440p screen because of productivity and since it was my main monitor (and had amazing colours) I also used it for gaming. I was really surprised that my 770 was performing so well and that the 2GB VRAM weren't an issue. For a "budget" 1440p GPU the 770/280x are amazing.

If it were me I'd go with the GTX 770, just because it is an all around good card. Unless you want to keep if for 4k, then I'd definately go with a R9 280x, R9 290/x or a GTX 780. The 256bit bus and 2gb of RAM on the 770 just doesn't jibe well with me for 4k.

nice discussion we are having here :)

i dont plan on going 4k in the near future (money is the issue) plus i dont game THAT much to justify the dumping of that much cash for both a 4k display and a card to power the resolution.

but it seems that it might go between the GTX 770  and the R9 280x when it comes to the price :) (they are more or less the same range here where i live)

just to add, are the GTX cards still as power hungry as they where when i last checked them? (that was a few years ago) or have they "fixed" that issue? :) i only have a 650w psu :)

With a 650W PSU you will be fine with either card (as long as it can provide enough amperage on the +12V rails). In this generation Nvidia is way more power efficient though, while AMDs GPUs need more power and run way hotter. Things have changed over the past few years. If they are the same price for you then it will probably come down to: Nvidia (quieter, cooler, consumes less power) or AMD (more VRAM, louder, runs hotter, needs more power). Performance is mostly the same, it's really up to you.