New Georgia gun law allows gun owners access to Schools, Airports, Government buildings, etc

People in these areas are also a lot more harsh on lack of gun safety in public areas. In Texas, if you are carrying a rifle to or from your hunt, barrel up, SOMONE, assuming there is a someone around, will tell you about it and what a dumbass you are.

by no means should you be able to carry an m4 into dunkin donuts. but a colt 1911, a glock 17, or just about any other weapon classified as a handgun why not. excluding those handguns that are just about rifles minus the stock. forget the correct term for them but what ever. i love my state open carry is legal no permit required just be over 21 have it on hip or in shoulder holster that is visible. i can walk into almost business and be just fine as long as there is not a posted no weapons allowed sign.

2 Likes

I wasn't saying that I really have a problem with gun owners, I will support the second ammendment with my vote whenever I can, and I have no problem with responsible gun owners. I just get really tired of the people (usally these guys that want to open carry a semi auto rifle wherever and whenever they want) who every time theres a massacre the first thing out of their mouth is "if only I was there I could have stopped it". Its absurd, unrealistic, and really disrespectful to the people who have died. I have generally centrist libritarian leanings, conservative on economic issues and egalitarian/libritarian on social issues. I think universal background checks are a must and that we shoudl put some serious effort into making them better. I dont believe in gun control but many of the guns used in these mass shootings where purchased legally and most of the time by someone with a criminal history or history of mental illness. No they wont catch everyone but its certainly a step in the right direction. Speaking of menatl illness it would also be nice if insurance companies would cover mental health care as there have been a number of case studies where it doesn't make the coverage any more expensive for the policy holder and actually increases the companies profits.

Nobody that is serious about open-carry has ever said they want to be able to carry semi-auto rifles into public spaces. That's the extremist troll presence of every controversial argument. The open-carry advocates have always specifically mentioned pistols as their goal.

Either you're terrible at picking out a troll comment, or you're trying very hard to be one here.

1 Like

They are pistols if the barrel is short enough. If you have a stock on it the correct term will be SBR or Short Barreled Rifle.

My two cents on this is that it's Georgia, being a gunphob won't really change what Georgia does. I personally support this, as long as the proper steps are being taken with the owners on the side of gun acquisition and training. It has sadly come down to the point where defending yourself is the best chance you have to stopping an attack. It sucks, but this is how it is.

It doesn't help that the media is making things worse, there are many people that believe they are well informed in firearms, but in reality they have utterly no clue what they are talking about. I do not claim to know much about firearms, especially on the legal side of them (my fascination is in the mechanics), but gun phobics and idiots spouting out false information while acting like an expert doesn't help (Like the fact that there are selective fire variants of the AR-15 and not all selective fire AR-15s are considered M16s).

Here is my two cents on this from the prespective of someone who is pro-gun and can understand the mind of a criminal:
(Hypethetically) if i were to attack a place i would aim for somewhere that the victims would be least resistant: schools, airports, government offices; where guns are banned from being carried: then i would pick a location as far away from a police dispatch station or common patrol routes: these can be found online b/c people will call out where police patrols and other watches are on social media.

now on this premise i need to point out that many people underestimate the power that just the pressence of a firearm in a room has let alone brandishing it: i can atone to this as i have been open carrying in the state of colorado for over a year now; many of the minor gangbangers and thugs will turn tail as soon as they know thier potential victim MAY have a firearm let alone if its confirmed they do and i have avoided a lot of fights because of this. this is why many banks, even though much of anything valueable is held in a vault or locked drawer, there is usually a lone guard in the main area and that is one of the best deterrents of any kind of criminal activity.

Now onto the tools themselves: firearms. we all know them in some way or form, from the M-16 to an AR15 to the Glock to a M240 SAW we all have some pictur of what a firearm is. The common misconception that much of the mainstream media fear mongers is that firearms are in no other catagory than a weapon; wipe this from your head. a firearm is a tool akin to a knife, bow and arrow, the spoon in your kitchen drawer, your car, and i can go on. It just happens to be good at what it was designed for. for the main point the media will spin so much shit to get ratings specifically in this case the name the media give many a bad name Assault Rifle you probably thing of an AR15 or an AK47 you should think of nothing because there is no such thing as an assault rifle Assault rifle is a term coined by the media to fear monger people into seeing rifles as a bad object and are only so when use to assault someone. under these premises if i attacked you with a chesse grater to take chunks off your bum to put into a cannible stew, then it should be considered an ''assault cheese grater''. not the same ring to it huh? now you know how us gun-owners feel everytime we hear assault rifle and someone is refering to our composite stock rifles

end 2 cents

1 Like

That's assuming that background checks are universal when they aren't. Every time there is an attempt to get them passed NRA pocketed senators smack it down.

It is illegal to sell a gun to someone who shouldn't have them. Universal background checks are predicated on the idea that many people who shouldn't have guns purchase them from private sellers who are legally allowed to have them. You can already go to prison if you sell a gun to your cousin and they turn out to be not allowed. The problem with universal background checks is that while they may prevent a few purchases (I haven't looked into those numbers, I assume most are probably family transactions), you would never be able to enforce the fact that someone failed to perform one until after the fact, which is when you could also be enforcing the straw purchases law anyway, which is what some would argue is the same difference.

I think that one should be very concerned about selling a gun to the wrong person and should be held responsible (one is held responsible), and I also think that it is always prudent to keep records of serial numbers you have owned and bills of sale, but universal background checks while a nice sounding idea basically still only burdens law abiding citizens and would again fail to prevent a terrorist with no criminal record from obtaining a gun.

As for this law, I'm in favor. I might also be in favor of fines or punishment for negligent discharges in these places too (are there any?). If you can handle, draw, whatever, your gun without it going off and potentially hurting someone you don't have to worry about the punishment. One is too many, modern guns don't go off by themselves. If carrying guns is safe, then we need to prove it.

lol this argument always reminds me of GTA V and 'Proposition #45.'

I'm not saying you’re wrong. I just get tired of the old "If it was me it would have been different" narcissism. I'm not so delusional to think its impossible that concealed carry could save your life, it very well could. As other posters have shown it does make a difference in some instances. It just isn’t the entire solution and I think people often boast much too highly of the likelihood if it saving your life and ignore the harsh reality that sometimes there’s nothing you can do. I’m not saying you shouldn’t concealed carry, it’s a good idea in some neighborhoods but sometimes it’s a pain if you get pulled over by a cop. I have never owned a gun but I do like to carry a knife on my person for utility. Last year I was walking up a flight of stairs at a hockey game and a cop pulled me aside having seen the clip of my knife sticking out of my back pocket (my jacket should have been covering it but wasn’t). He confiscated the knife as it was over the length limit by city ordinance. So by a certain extent I can understand the frustration of someone who concealed carries with the fact that they can’t take it everywhere. Sometimes you have to walk or drive through a bad neighborhood to get where you’re going and I can see how having the gun be legal to take into your destination would make it safer so you don’t get mugged in the parking lot or something. I just think the importance of concealed carry is overstated as a solution to these mass shootings. Harsher repercussions for gun violence, better background checks and enforcement of those checks, and the closing of loopholes are a much bigger factor. Like I said before improving the quality of life in your area and making mental healthcare insurance coverage the standard would also be helpful in reducing all forms of violence.

Just from a quick look it looks like private sales make up about 20% of total gun sales, and by the 2% fail rate of the background check it seems like universal background checks would net about 600,000 additional denied sales a year for private sales which isn't a lot considering the 15-20million total sales (assuming that’s the entire makeup of non-background checked sales). But that’s still 600,000 felons and people with history of mental illness that won’t have guns that do now.

I'm a college student and it was my freshman year I'm sorry I hadn’t read every city ordinance before carrying what is a legal knife in the rest of the state. Also is it possible for you to stop picking parts of my comments out of context and attacking me? I was using that as an anecdote to explain an experience I had where something I use for my personal defense was confiscated unreasonably (in my opinion a 2.5 inch multi-tool knife is not a weapon but a tool). I'm on your side here chief I don’t like anti-gun legislation and I have no problem with concealed carry I just hate terrorists and psychopaths having easy access to guns that could be easily prevented. I’m not advocating gun control just monitoring of the sale of all guns, harsh repercussions for their misuse, and pushing for societal changes that will reduce all forms of violence. You seem to have a picture of what you think I’m saying in your head and you’re not actually reading what I’m writing and then responding to me like I’m some kind of pacifistic Marxist authoritarian liberal who thinks guns should be outlawed. Don’t shove my ideas in some box you’ve constructed of what you think I believe and then attack ideas I don’t hold. And yes I am saying with complete seriousness that even with more effective gun legislation criminals will still break the law any solution is not a silver bullet.

You mean across the whole USA yearly, not just GA for those numbers right? I won't argue that a lot of people would be more careful privately selling guns if there were universal background checks, but like I said, it is already illegal to sell a gun to a criminal and there are gun laws that aren't enforced as fully as they could be. I almost suspect on purpose so "they" can make it seem like we need more laws... The other side of my hesitation to adopt universal checks is that we don't really trust the government not to make it overly difficult and burdensome, or throw some other legislation in with it about not inheriting our parents firearms when they die.

And knife laws are kinda dumb. 2.5 inches is not very long.

2 Likes

No I'm saying that people over estimate their own abilities all the time and then talk about it on the internet as the solution to mass shootings. And yes I do believe that for a lot of gun owners it is all about prick waving. They take pictures of them holding guns. Talk about their guns like they are dogs. Take their guns grocery shopping. Just like owning a big truck that you don’t need is prick waving. Playing music so loud that everyone in the vicinity can hear it is prick waving. These are tribal subcultures in a civilized time with a macho man boner too big to put down. America has always been a cult of anti-intellectualism and guns have always been the favorite talking point for men who feel a little less masculine than the rest. None of the regulation I'm advocating has any adverse effects for anyone who already owns guns. I'm just looking to make sure that no one that we could possibly prevent (I don’t care how small the number) doesn't get their hands on a gun. Again not a silver bullet just baby steps to bring us towards less and less gun violence.

2.5 inches is the max for a folding knife in MA. But for some reason the law has no limit on the length of fixed blades (statewide obviously as I learned not in some cities).

i like that more people will be able to kill each other.

Thank you for projecting whatever sterotype on me you please and letting out your inner anger. It really made my day more fun to be thought of as the people you imagine your fihting against rather than who I am. Its like charades!

More people? I like how dim witted you are. These exact same people already own their firearms, they could use them at any point before. This DOES NOT INCREASE their ability to brandish their firearms at all. If I wanted to shoot someone with a gun I already own, waiting for conceal carry laws to open up wouldn't make me finally do it.

There are many open-carry states(24 at last count). Most of which are at or near the bottom in crime rate. Not to directly connect the dots, as I don't believe it is even 75% related to open-carry, but the crime rate would be astronomical in those states in your opinion because everyone can carry in public.

The criminal element has always been there. You honestly think that a criminal hasn't brought a concealed gun into a specific venue because they had laws against it? That's hilarious.

you really took a lot from the 11 words i typed out. congratulations.

1 Like