New f150 suggestions on mods? And also maybe a mobile network

Well actually you worked hard to be able to qualify to rent it from the actual owner. Once your payments are done , THEN you would have worked hard to get it. lol

cars dealers are tricky in that way , they convince you that it's yours when really it's not untill it's actually paid for.

Treat it like it's not yours , becuase the reality is just that.

Well to get the particular deal I got you have to get bitchslapped for 13 weeks straight.

I would HIGHLY recommend enduring the bitch slapping for 13 weeks. leave it 100% stock and put zero money into it till the bitch slapping stops. :)

Lol the bitch slapping was boot camp. I'm not really trying to do anything that is super intense either. Besides the spraying liner nothing I want to do would be permanent. I was thinking more along the lines of a cold air filter or tool box. The network stuff would go under as personal property so it would always be mine. I don't know much about working on trucks so I was mainly wondering if anyone knew of some easy to do stuff to make the truck work better.

Do a plastic drop in bed linder , spray only protects from scratches and sometimes rust. The plastic ones cost less and they prevent scratches and dents. Spay on beds can still dent.

As for millage , you're kinda screwed. The vehicle has a bad drag coefficient and cannot get good millage without major body changes. You can try to hypermile but I've hypermilled plenty of trucks and it only yields 1 or 2 mpg and limits you to 45mph.

The vehicle is also kinda heavy for the engine despite the engine having the word "eco" in it. So keep the bed empty and that will help.

We've rented new f-150s to travel to job sites and over a 9 hour drive is got an average of 17 mpg highway , and it was empty and not towing anything. So just keep the long trips to a minimum lol.

1 Like

Really all you can do for economy is have a professional workshop retune the ecu for maximum economy. Any other engine related mods are going to use more fuel. If economy was priority one then you probably should have bought a diesel. Being a twin turbo v6 a retune will maximise the efficiency of the platform.

Loose any non essential weight, dont run knobbly tyres and drive it like a nanna.

Things not to do - increase turbo boost, 'sports' exhaust, oversize or knobbly tyres, pod filter (or similar). Pod filter wont do crap for economy, bigger tyres = worse economy, upgrading the exhaust on a turbo engine is a waste of money unless you are chasing horsepower

1 Like

So right now I am getting around 20.3 mpg city and its going up to 22.8 on the highway. It's actually saying it at 21.2 right now but that's because I drive on both. Well I can't complain to much. I'm beating out a ton of sedans when it come to gas mileage right now and I am saving so much money compared to my 2001 Honda Civic. So yay lol

I'm thinking of creating putting the Nas under the back seat and having a mount for my tablet that's over the glovebox. I'm going to set up and antenna that will boost my phone which will be used not only for callin that's already handled by the truck but also as a hotspot for the tablet. If I run Kali on the tablet I would be able to fully monitor everything around me. But I could also just use it for emulation gaming on the tablet. I'm thinking the main purpose of the Nas beyond backing up the tablet and phone for work and such would mainly be used to back up my wife's camera. Plus we do a lot of outdoors stuff so this could actually come in handy. Also it would just be fun to do and tinker with

If you are mounting ANY storage in teh car then you HAVE to use SSD's - road vibrations are going to kill regular hdd's

Definitely ssd's I'm thinking of only 2 500gb.

1.) No reason to have a "lab" in a truck.

2.) Generally when you increase performance, you are at the cost of fuel efficiency. You don't increase both at the same time.

3.) If you were really worried about fuel efficiency, a truck might've been a bad decision.

I also may be a little biased since I hate trucks, but I digress.

1) I have plenty of reasons for wanting a lab in a truck.

2) that's probably true. I'm not a car expert.

3) i needed a truck.

4) just curious but why do you hate trucks? Did they kill your father and rape your mother?

Also if you hate trucks because of some environmentalist reason. My truck is littlerly getting better gas milo age then my Honda Civic was and has a lower emissions rate.

(Not saying you) But whenever I'm driving, it's always truck drivers who are driving like an asshole, constantly trying to merge into me without looking forcing me to take evasive measures, and well you know.... the general audience trucks draw in.

I know they have their uses, but I would never own one. If I need to move something large, which may be once every 2 years, I'll as my dumb friend who bought a truck if I can borrow his for an hour.

Look here is the deal brother. I'm practically the ecoboost expert around here. The ecoboost engine stock from ford already is just about as efficient as it can be. From twin turbo charging to exhaust scavenging to variable valve timing and twin independent cam shift timing.. The ecoboost 2.7 is already as efficient as it can be. The only modifications you could do to get very marginal increases in fuel economy would kill ride quality and the durability of the truck.. I. E ride height.. Suspension mods.. Removal of weight..

My point being if you want to performance mod this truck you are gonna get more power not economy. I'm sorry to break that to you.. However any other mods are fine..

The general rule
Performance + == economy -

Fords engineers have a ton more experience lab work.. And real world research backing up their stock settings. Trust me if they could make it more fuel efficient and reliable they would have already. Especially in today's times

1 Like

You really should look into putting oil catch cans on the high and low boost PCV circuits. Any turbo charged engine running more than 5psi should have catch cans and especially in winter when you have extensive condensation. The PCV circuit dumps the positive crankcase pressure made due to cramming air in with the tubos and routes it back into the intake. The problem comes from the oil misted air which will deposit oil on the backside of the hot valves. Because the engine is direct injected instead of port injected the fuel never washes down the backside of the valves and you get lots of carbon build up. Additionally, in winter time, the condensation build up due to not running the engine long enough can cause a whole lot of water vapor to run through the PCV system.

An oil catch can is simply the best value added mod you can do to these engines. Tons of 3.5 ecoboost guys had issues that were solved by the catch can and its proven on every high boost turbo car that a catch can saves massive headache down the road as you won't be replacing your cylinder heads due to carbon buildup.

There is not a huge amount you can do performance wise yet, at least it hasnt been proven long term. There might be a few tuners but I would avoid canned tunes for a while until more established brands do something.

If you don't have a clue what I am talking about, I suggest leaving it be and doing the regular service intervals. That truck is fine the way it is, its faster than a 3.5 to 60mph because it weighs less and its way fast enough for a truck of its size and can haul a 5000lb trailer off the tow package with out a weight distributed hitch. If you really want to wrench on something get a cheap project car, nothing worse than having your nice daily go down from messing with it.