"New" DS4243 + TrueNAS Core = Checksum errors across every disk [Solved!]

I agree with the backups thing. I’d like to backup critical files to Backblaze or something once it’s all setup, but hot spares are pretty important for me since, when we’re not in a pandemic, I’m often away from home for long periods of time with work, so it’s nice to have the server maintain itself lol.

Thats a good point if you wouldn’t have access to it. Something to be mindful of is you can add vdevs and you can expand pools with larger disks but you can’t eliminate data vdevs in a pool or reduce the number of disks in a vdev. At least no way I know of.

If it were me, i would go with two 8 disk raidZ2 vdevs. It should help boost write performance while still giving you a good amount of parity. It would also give you the option for one more 8 disk vdev in the future as well.

That’s exactly what I did last night lol. 2 8-disk vDevs in RaidZ2 with an NVMe log.

Moved all the data over from my Drobo (being able to stop using my Drobo was a large reason I underwent all of this). 11% capacity used, and when I pulled the drives out of the box they were also 2TB drives, so now I have 5 more to add to the pool! They’re hot spares for now since the vDevs are 8 drives, but that means I’ll be investing a lot less when it comes to filling the DS4243.

Except that I’m out of caddies so I could only install 3 of the 5 new drives lol.

can i ask what process you’re using to determine CRC/Checksum errors ? i’ve been having issues with my DS4243 and LSI 9200 with TrueNAS as well and am in the process of diagnosing everything

For TrueNAS web UI

After logging in and at your dashboard. On the navigation tree on the left side select “Storage” go to “Pools”. Then click the gear icon for the pool you want to check on the right of the screen then click “Status”

1 Like

Hello from Germany in COVID 19 Times After a LONG search i found your Forum with the same Problem i have.

1 have also a NETAPP 4243 and a PMC8003 Controller. First i uses Freenas 11.3. But it strugling around with lost data connection on DA10 DA11 DA12. an chk errors on these.

All other drives work perfectly. Without trouble. I tought defect drives. But all Drives works in other SLOTs without problems.

So i figured out. I put 2 Fans on the Heatthink of the PMC8003. An what should i say. It is working without loses of drives. DA10 DA11 DA12 never give up. So i think there is first a termo problem with the controller.

But than the totaly disaster happends after Installing TRUENAS12 U2.

All drives become same CHK Errors like you. THATS a totaly disaster of
a wrong SOFTWARE developed DRIVER ERROR.

There is a WRONG Driver(perhaps old with errors) or a fauly DRIVER for the PMC8003 in it. !!! Thats a SOFTWARE FAULT.

So when you go to LSI its ok because of other driver in TRUENAS which has no Problems.

I switch back to 11.3 an what should i say. ALL ERRORs are gone.
First time with a resilvery issus about 36 Hours of TrueNas12 damged ZFS. After thats all drives art ok. Very luck about not losing my Data.

Thats why i normal never change a running system.

If PLEX was lost it where a totaly disaster for me.
So i decided to write to you. Because somebody has same errors.
First COOLING the HBA with Fans . I have a HPG7 Server there not enough ventilaton. i don t wont running on maximum fans speed from Server.

Not go to Truenas 12 or you data will belost in the MOMENT by using PM8003. It think a update will next fix this issue.

Thats took me a lot of time to figured out ithink 1 week trying everything.
Also PCB REWORK of the DA10 DA11 DA12 SAS Connectors.

2 ERRORs HEAT an TRUENAS.

I am angry because of truenas looks very good i would have it. ! GRRRRRRRR

So i share my experiance. For other having same issue. Thank you.

Greetings
BB

1 Like

My Solution of Temperature Problem so all CHKsum errors gone.
Now i wait for bug fixed Truenas Version 12 which supports PMC8003 right.

There is a 12V Connector on the PCB of PCM8003. I soldered in Jumper Pins.

The fan i stick with glue.

Greetings
BB

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.