I’m less than two years away from retirement and looking for advice on building a new “Daily Driver” system for home for retirement.
I’ve been working in Tier 3 support for Firewalls and IDS systems for the last 10 years and previous to that worked in Networking and briefly in Front-Line support.
I’ve been playing around in Linux since Slackware in the mid 90s, was heavily into SuSE in the late 90s and early 2000s but went on a bit of a hiatus when the kids were young. Our oldest is away at University now and the youngest will be finishing High School … eventually …
At home I went from a Linux box (P166 with 128MB RAM as a DSL Router/SMB Server/ DNS Server/Squid Cache but migrated to appliances (Tomato on Asus AC66U, Synology -> 24TB FreeNAS) and have a Cisco Small Business Gigabit LAN in the house (5 VLANS- Lan/Guest/DMZ/Mgmt).
My “Web Server” (LAMP) is a dual-core Atom with 4GB DDR2 and 160GB or spinning rust that I’m in the process of moving to …
I have an i7 NUC running ESXi 6 with an iTunes VM (Win 7 Pro), Zabbix Server (Ubuntu 18.104.22.168 LTS Server), MineCraft Server (Ubuntu 22.214.171.124 LTS Server) and a LAMP Server (Ubuntu 126.96.36.199 LTS Server) for some WordPress Sites I host at home for hobbies (Photography & Genealogy)
My current daily driver is:
- Super Micro X10-SL7-F
- Corsair TX750 PS
- Xeon e3-1231v3 3.4GHz Haswell
- 32GB Crucial DDR4 ECC
- AMD Radeon Pro W4100 connected to 3 Asus Pro Art 24” 1080p Displays
- 4 3TB Seagate 3TB NAS Disks in RAID 10 on the Integrated LSI 2308
- 2 256GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD in RAID 1 (OS & Apps)
- 2 256GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD in RAID 0 (Scratch)
- Fractal Design Node 804
- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
What I do mostly on it:
- Genealogy (30-40 tabs in FireFox opened over 3 displays)
- Photo Editing – Adobe Photography CC Subscription I’m working on ditching
- The odd bit of video editing (1080p)
- System Administration (I have 3 Ubuntu rigs running [email protected])
I really want to get off Windows but have a few legacy apps that I must still run (Genealogical dB Software).
I’m looking for advice for the new build. I’m thinking 2920X Threadripper on X399 with Linux as the base OS running Win10 Pro on top for when I need it.
- Which flavor would I be able to ease into best for the base OS (RedHat, Ubuntu …) and would be of most benefit in my use case? Please, no flaming, I know this is almost a “Which Religion is Best?” type question
- I’ll re-read Wendell’s recommendations on which Board will work best for ECC support and for pass-through.
- Video Card Suggestions for Base OS (I’m thinking AMD Radeon Pro WX5100 or its replacement)?
- Video Card Suggestion for Pass-through Win 10 Pro (NVidia RTX 2060 or GTX 1660Ti)?
- Storage suggestions? Currently all my Data is Local and rsync’ed to the FreeNAS which is, in turn, rsync’ed off-site. The FreeNAS has our movie and audio Libraries on it (hence the iTunes on the VM for the wife) So I’m either stuck using a RAID Array for local storage or I need to fork-lift my LAN and FreeNAS to 10G. Alternatively, could I run a 2nd FreeNAS on the new machine and use that to abstract the local storage (iSCSI vs. NFS seems a little unstable from what I’ve read in the past)?
- I’d like to keep the NUC for “important” VMs that require Uptime but I’m open to suggestions.