New computer for old guy hooked on linux mint

To make things easier around here just include some extra info so we can tailor you better.
• Budget. How much are you willing to spend?
• About 700.00
• Where do you live (what country, don’t post specific details), and what currency do you use?
• USA USD
• Is there a retailer you prefer?
• No not really.
• Do you need or already have peripherals? (this can add to costs)
• Already have them.
• What will you be using your Glorious computer for? Gaming? Rendering? Mix of both? Or is this a home media PC or Steam Box?
• This will be a home computer used for web surfing email movie watching etc no modern games.
• Do you overclock or want to get into overclocking?
• No
• Do you plan on going for custom water-cooling now, or in the future?
• No
• Operating System. Do you need a new one?
• Must run linux Mint without any issues, Mint is the only OS my buddy knows and does not like change at all.

Here’s the PcPartPicker URL
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCWBGc
Tell me what you think.
Will this stuff work well together and with linux mint?

I picked a faster CPU for $10 more and a motherboard that can support it (Rev. 4).

I don’t think you need 16GB of RAM. I picked a smaller case, and added the fans to keep the pc cool. I tried to find a case without a transparent side panel, but you can just stick a poster or some art to the inside of the glass… or leave it see-through.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.58 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Rosewill RFBF-131411 48.7 CFM 140 mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $381.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-08 15:23 EST-0500

1 Like

You may need to use a PPA for updated graphics drivers and opt for a newer kernel (5.0+) from the update utility, or wait for the next release of Mint to get the Vega iGPU 100% stable. I have the 2400G and used it on a B450 board the day it came out and Mint was the only thing that would run it, but there were random lockups every few hours to few days. At the time the newest kernel 4.18 worked better but still some lockups.

I switched to Lubuntu and since 19.04 with the 5.0 kernel and updated graphics drivers (Oibaf PPA) it has been rock solid. It was very disappointing at first dealing with lockups that were totally random, and now it’s my favorite computer that I’ve built.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.