New build i9 4+8 powe cable issue

This is going to be a convoluted mess because my knowledge is limited.
Gigabyte z390 Auros
Evga 1000w P2 power some
i9 9900K
Third build, first high end build

Okay. For the cpu power on the top left hand corner of the board there is a 2x2 socket and a 2x4 socket. My power supply does not have a 2x4 pin cable on the motherboard end. I have two cpu cables that have cables that split of with two 2x2 pin ends. If I put these ends together to make a 2x4, the pins are not compatible for the 8 pin 2x4 socket. Now, my power supply has outputs, marked cpu1 and cpu2. I can use my two separate cpu cables to fill the slots in the 4 pin 2x2 slot and half of the 8 pin 2x4 slot. Making a total of 8 pins receiving power out from my power supply. In the manual, the first half of the 8 pin socket says (roughly) “for the 2x8 connector only”. But the half of that 8 pin socket which the other 2x2 pin connector would be compatible with. If I were using two cpu cables. Has no such notation restricting its use. I am lost and confused. Please forgive me of my ignorance, and I am grateful for any help. Thank you.

Some pictures of the connectors would help.
I don´t really understand what you plan/want to do here.

I want to make sure I get enough power to run my system. Im wondering if there is a way that im unaware of to use the cables I have. Every video I could find they used a solid 8 pin connector. Which I do not have in my stack of cables from my new power supply

Are you sure you did not mix up left and right part of the 8-pin?

If you are referring to my cables compared to my socket I am sure. The pattern is two similar pins in the center and on opposite from the center on the outsides. While the pattern on my cables is three similar one dissimilar

Its entirely possible im missing something obvious. My other builds only had the four pin

Just checked the two modular PSUs I have here (both Seasonic, same as the OEM for the EVGA Supernova-line). Neither of them have solid 8-pins for the CPU, they are all two seperate 4-pins from one cable.

Can you, with the connectors labeld “CPU” get the 8-pin fully populated? If so, that is enough (unless you plan to go LN2).

Unfortunately I cannot, the pattern doesn’t match. And they are labeled as the cables for the cpu. The image above has the pattern when I put the cables together and an image of the socket. And I could not figure how to arrange them to work

I do have two cpu cables. With two cpu ports on my Power Supply. If hypothetically I used both cpu cables I have, I could populate the four pin on the left, and the right set of four on the eight pin.

Someone over on Tom’s Hardware suggested piecing together the 8-pin from the CPU1 and CPU2 cable.

Having 2 4-pins connected is fine. Unless you do LN2 OCing.

1 Like

Okay. Thats what I was thinking, I just didn’t want to do it without consulting someone with how long it took me to save for it lol

My previous comment was grayed out for commenting again too quickly. But I want to make sure it was said
Thank you for your help

1 Like

Just again, because I am wondering:
Do the two 4-pins you have on hand look like this?

If so, they should fit in the 8-pin side by side. Is a bit fidly at times, but it works.
Juste checked, some D-shaped pins go in square holes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well… will a rounded pin fit into the square hole? I saw visually that they didn’t match. But never tried to actually install it since the pattern wasn’t the same.

Oh Kay…
No worries, clips on the same side, two 4-pins from the same cable form a nice 8-pin, all good.

Well, Frak my life dude. It went in just fine. There went three hours of my day. OH well, its better to be overly cautious than to be wreckless. You still helped out a bunch.

2 Likes

You are probably the first to get me confused about parted CPU-power connectors. I never noticed one half of the 8-pin is like that.
Just took for granted that it goes there and done.

You are welcome :smiley:

2 Likes

MazeFrame, you may be a garbage collector but you get five stars with me

2 Likes