New Build $2,400

Hello, I’m thinking about doing a new build. I would like to get something new. I’ve been getting into media design and I just started taking computer science classes as well. I need something powerful enough to run some automation while also being suitable to play video games. I have a 1400p monitor. It will be a fresh build and I would like to get everything from microcenter because I have one here in town. My budget is 2,400 dollars and that will need to include a fresh oem install of windows. Is the M.2 storage faster than a normal ssd? Sorry, I’ve just been out of the build world for a very long time!

I left the $700 GTX 1070 out of the build because… it is a seven freakin’ hundred dollar GTX 1070… W T F.

Not all M.2 storage solutions are faster than SATA III drives. NVMe storage on the M.2 will be faster than a SATA III device: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZNBrxr/samsung-960-evo-250gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e250

This example build is to help you organize the cost of a build and if you give us more information, we can tailor the hardware to your specific software needs.

For example, you might not need 32GB of RAM. I was not sure how much memory your automation software needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($314.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($408.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro TG RGB Special Edition ATX Full Tower Case ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1292.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-27 11:34 EST-0500

2 Likes

With the RAM and GPU markets so fucked right now I can’t recommend anyone build a pc at this time unless you really need it. $400 for 32gb of ram? $700 for a 1070? yeah, no thanks. That being said we don’t know when/if prices will go back to what they should be.

7 Likes

Do you need brand new stuff? I just built a badass work station for just under 1500 dollars that is nearly on par with a threadripper.

check into lga-2011 E5-2680 v2 processors 150 to 200 usd for a 22nm 10 core and ddr-3 ecc ram is cheap as hell compared to ddr-4 quad channel I just bought 4 32gb kits for 130 bucks each. Ya you’ll eat a bit more power, but I’m loving this monster.

1 Like

Holy crap, that memory’s expensive! Yeah, I’d wait a couple months if possible.

1 Like

Unfortanlly Ram prices are going to continue to rise, at least that’s my opion.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that spectre probably won’t get fixed on that. Like, ever.

2 Likes

Also keep in mind that the used market will be the way to go to find decent prices on GPU’s and RAM. There are still some people out there that aren’t going to price gouge their fellow enthusiasts.

1 Like

There was one of those ads up in the Minneapolis Craigslist… today I saw someone calling that ad out as a scammer.

I don’t know if there are any decent prices anymore.

1 Like

I took roughly 30 Optiplex 7010’s to the nearest Goodwill in December. In my opinion, anyone building a PC nowadays has to consider Dumpster diving a valid option for PC Builds…

1 Like

if i were you i would wait. ryzen 2 is just around the corner with better speeds/overclocking and maybe more cores. gpu AND ram market is the worst it has ever been. like for reals this isnt your normal “maybe you should wait” upgrade coming soon™ it’s bad right now and just getting the parts at all is hard.

2 Likes