New benchmark, who dis? -- A cpu benchmark from devember

It’s called helsing, it’s an open source vampire number generator.
This is a project I started for devember, and now it’s up on the phoronix test suite!
https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/helsing-1.0.0
They ran it on a 2 x 64-core epyc system and it scaled better than I imagined.
I have been testing it thoroughly for the past months, but It’s still on beta and I haven’t validated all aspects of it.
If you have any CPU you want to benchmark, try it out, installation takes less than a megabyte.

6 Likes

Looks cool, I will download it and run it on my workstation and a few other PC’s

1 Like

Do you have a zen3 cpu?

Yes I have a laptop with a 5800H and a desktop with a 5600X. I also have a Threadripper Workstation.

1 Like

I am testing out a new feature that reduces cache usage almost in half.
Would you like to try it out?

Sure, I can test it on whatever you need.

1 Like

Thank you so much.
Could you measure the runtime of these two branches on the 5600x system.

For each of them please do:

git clone https://github.com/plerros/helsing.git -b NAME_OF_BRANCH
cd ./helsing/helsing
make
time ./helsing -n 14

And send me the runtime.
This should take ~11 minutes for each of them.

You need me to run linux? I don’t have linux on either Zen3 machine, but I suppose I could boot a live CD on the AW box I have sitting here to test it.

1 Like

You could run it on wsl, but that is still too much work on your side.
Don’t do it, I can find other ways to test it.

I could boot a live cd and run it from there. I just don’t have linux installed on either zen3 machine that I have.

1 Like

Well, if that’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate the help. :grinning:

It should work on any linux distro. It even works on bsd, haiku, solaris, and redox.

Will do it in the next days no problem. I have an Ubuntu ISO on my Multiboot drive as well as a few other distros for fixing/testing PC’s.

1 Like

I’m sorry I have taken so long to do it, I will get it done for you this weekend. I have been slammed with work and other personal commitments.

1 Like

The only cpu I have with proper BMI2 implementation is my laptop, so I did a pilot experiment with it.
Screenshot from 2022-01-26 20-46-20
Almost double the performance if the workload is big enough.

The 5600x machine I have had to come apart for some upgrades. When I finish putting it back together I will test for you. On top of that I got sick in this time since I posted. Sorry again for being so useless lol

1 Like
1 Like

The standard runtime of R7 1700:

This 1700x score is ~36% faster! Very impressive.

Aggressive timing for ram at 3466

1 Like

Is running it on a 5800U any use to you? I have that as a Zen3 system right now.
I haven’t had a chance to touch the 5600x system again since I have been in the process of moving.

Yeah, it is.
I merged the pdep branch, so here are new instructions:

git clone https://github.com/plerros/helsing.git
cd ./helsing/helsing

for the non-pdep:

make
time ./helsing -n 12
time ./helsing -l 1000000000000000 -u 1020000000000000
time ./helsing -n 14

for the pdep version:

sed "s|^#define USE_PDEP .*|#define USE_PDEP true|g" configuration.h > tmp
mv tmp configuration.h