New 2020 iPhone SE Announced

Curious then to peoples thoughts so here’s a small poll.

Would you buy or recommend this phone to someone?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

It will be the only option on the selection sheet for people who expect even a lick of tech support from me.

If I were looking for a phone, yeah, probably.

Apples ux and ui still kills me though, so I don’t know if I could get used to it.

As a former normie I think Apple’s ecosystem is probably the easiest to use once you get used to it. It just works™.

Once you pass normie territory it can get iffy, especially if you want to muck about in system files.

Reviews are coming in now it seems

2 Likes

Late response but yeah I already recommended this to my sister. :smile:

Battery on her SE is dying, and she has gotten used to the Apple ecosystem so this is more or less a no brainier for her.

Now I just need to get her to ditch old HP laptop for MacBook :smile:

Achievement unlocked.

Never wanted a phone without 3.5mm … dammit.

1 Like

Surprisingly i’ve had a phone with no 3.5mm jack for a year, and its never been an obstacle. I kind of like using Bluetooth headphones with my phone.

1 Like

Literally @Adubs perfect phone

All the ios13 he needs without the excess bullshit and excess price

And this is why most competent electronics vendors who supply built in batteries already do this

They show you 100% on the meter which is actually more like 80-90 of actual cell capacity.

This is how Tesla for example enable people to over charge their teslas in an emergency situation. the normal “100%” is not 100%.

This is highly inaccurate. What is your source?

Take the time to find it before you reply to me. :slight_smile:

Reply to me the the lounge with your source to not screw up this decent thread without conversation

Dont engage this. Its not worth it and its not pertinent to the topic at hand.

2 Likes

That might be limited to extended warranty (AppleCare), normal warranty is 1 year.
Source: US battery replacement page, UK battery replacement page

Curious; I have an iPhone that I very often kept plugged in overnight or at my desk, so that it spent a fair amount of its life at 100%— after many years it has retained charge the best out of my family’s phones.

I too prefer Lightning > USB Type C; together the plug and socket are much easier to clean than USB, Firewire, DP, HDMI, etc.
The true downside I see is that the retention springs are in the device, not the cable, which makes eventual wearing out of the spring more expensive to “fix”.

Is that really true? Everything I have heard about 5G-NR suggests that it uses more power than LTE, or is that just the mmWave range or initial hardware being unoptimised?

libmobiledevice is a beautiful thing, though in general the access that computers have to an iPhone is a bit strange.

Photos on an iPhone seem to be exposed via PTP, so you do not even need iTunes
Files are browsable in iTunes, or directly in your file browser on Linux (tested on GNOME) with libimobiledevice

Edit: I am not sure if this is different in iOS versions > 12, but I remember noticing two oddities in iOS 12:

1. You cannot control the root directory in the Files app — the root directory cannot contain arbitrary folders or files; it only contains one folder per supported app, and these folders can only be created by installing or removing their app
  2. Not all apps with Files support can have their folders viewed in iTunes/libimobiledevice and vice versa
1 Like

Ah, the UK has a 2 year warranty by default.

I believe it depends on the band being used, what its doing at the time, and a mix of hardware and protocol optimisations.

NR enables higher data rates and lower latency, which allows user data sessions to be terminated faster than in LTE. This inherently reduces the associated energy consumed by device per transmitted bit.

However, invoking new performance-enhancing features in NR (wider BWs, shorter slot times, multiple scheduling events per slot, etc.) can also increase the energy cost of control channel monitoring. Therefore, the first NR specification Rel-15 includes numerous tools for saving device power and energy, such as inactive state, connected-mode discontinuous reception (cDRX), and customized control channel monitoring:

I wont claim to have any great understanding of the technology, these two links are new to me having a quick google for some information, but it lines up with the general news ive read about it in that there are numerous efficiency improvements across the board to reduce energy use in 5G.

1 Like

It’s mildly annoying when my chrome cast audio decides to shit the bed (weekly) in the garage, so I have to go up the stairs and get my c to 3.5 adapter so I can get amon amarth to scream at the neighborhood.

I had two of those and while generally working fine, I got rid of them and I’m now just using old android phones as dedicated music players. I still have a Galaxy Nexus running in the kitchen. It literally does nothing else anymore … but it’s still serving a purpose. :+1:

Thanks for the 5G links, I might be tempted to start a thread about that later.

Regarding iPhone warranties though, I cannot find evidence of a 2-year warranty for UK/EU. The normal warranty for everything including all Apple Watches except the Apple Watch Edition is one year, according to their Apple Products and Consumer Laws
in the United Kingdom
page. You can verify this by choosing a product on the warranty picker page.

Apple does sell an AppleCare in the UK which acts like an extended warranty for a total of 2 years.

It’s a EU thing. Link to sauce.

“EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don’t look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees .”

At least here in Germany there is a difference between the apple warranty and the customer protection stuff. In the box is documentation for the one year apple warranty.

https://www.apple.com/de/legal/statutory-warranty/

In the UK you actually have a 5 or 6 year protection, but after the first 6 months the burden of proof switches to the customer. While I did find anecdotal evidence of out of warranty repairs for an iPhone, I doubt that batteries would fall under this Consumer Law protection. I imagine the seller would simply claim that as consumables batteries not lasting 2, 5, or 6 years is simply inherent to the product/component itself, unless you can prove that your battery lost capacity much more rapidly than it should have, and was therefore defective at time of sale.

Otherwise you would just be relying on the generosity of a particular technician or store manager. Also, the Consumer Law only applies to whomever sold you the phone, so perhaps Apple could more easily ignore you if you bought it elsewhere.

Lower iPhone SE2 1st-party repair/replacement costs

On a SE2-specific note, it is good to see that servicing costs are (relative to other iPhones) lower:

• Battery replacement price is in the lower tier (alongside 6,6+,…,8,8+) — which makes sense given the small battery.
    Src: UK, US
  • Screen replacement price is the lowest, alongside 6, SE1, 5s, & 5c — maybe the price jump after the 6 was due to the pressure sensitivity (3D Touch) added with the 6s.
  • Other repairs are actually cheaper than the 6, priced alongside the original SE1.