Never Really Played a Good Singleplayer Game

I've mainly been playing multiplayer games lately, except for some Skyrim. I was wondering if anyone had some good store driven games with much less focus on combat. Almost like a movie. Dialogue choices would be cool too. Thanks for any help.

Mass Effect comes to mind. There's a lot of combat still, but it is very story-driven. The second one is best, in my opinion.

Telltale games are pretty much exactly what you're looking for, I think, pretty much like a movie. I've never played any of them, though I hear they're very good.

Yeah usually that's how it is. Some.mix of story and combat. I play a game because I want to play it. Not watch a film. I never really understood the whole wanting to be like a movie thing. But to each his own. 

Tell Tale games could work for you. More story focused and all about choices. Not really.much combat usually. The Walking Dead series is decent but there are some turds made by Tell Tale too so be careful. 

The Banner Saga is pretty light on combat I think. Adventure games might be good for you. Especially some of the older ones. 

I really enjoyed the Metro series and crysis. I'd recommend them

I agree with Jeol, ME series has a good story behind it, not the best and not original but still good none the less.

For story though, Final Fantasy has a special spot in my heart, its story can really grip you, the classic ones though, so I would suggest 7 8 and 10, I loved every second of 8 so its my top in any FF game.

Another game for me was Grim Fandango, I play this as a child, and the other year got my gf to get me a new copy, this holds another special place in my heart for me, its all based on story and puzzles, and it brings memories back.

The classics are better, no question modern day titles dont really hold their weight

Thanks for the responses

Fallout 3

Fallout NV

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Half Life 2

These all have great story and focus less on combat. Also check out the TellTale games if you want an extremely choice based story. 

What Joel, UnholyKing, and NJM1112 said on Metro series but never played crysis. I think the new Tomb Raider would fall on this but it has no dialogue options.

Metro's

Tomas is alone <----- very fun

Fallout ( although a bit like skyrim )

L4D2 ( if you have friends ) 

Tiny and big

If you want some free sp games ( albeit short ones ) there are a long list of them .

The new Tomb Raider and recent Far Cry games are great stories. Although they do focus on comabt alot. Metro 2033 and last light are great but again combat.

Story driven single player games, eh?  Off the top of my head...

Gameplay focused games with good stories:

Another World

Bioshock

Half-Life (or Black Mesa if you want updated graphics)

Half-Life 2

Deadlight

Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead 2

Portal

Portal 2

Mafia II

Mark of the Ninja

Metro

The Witcher

The Witcher 2

GTA Series

Spec Ops: The Line

Mass Effect series

Fallout Series

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Good story focused games:

Walking Dead series

L.A. Noire

Alan Wake

Grim Fandango

Last of Us

All I can think of at the moment.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut.

Yeah go buy it!

Also Dishonored has a wonderful story.

Thomas Was Alone is an absolutely fantastic game.

Bioshock

Bioshock Infinite

Thomas Was Alone

Portal

Portal 2

KNIGHTS of the Old Republic (1 & 2)

I've seen some cool RPG, adventure looking games. Even some cool 2D old ones especially. I wonder if anyone knows of anything like that.

Try Telltale's Tales from the Borderlands and The Wolf Among us.  Bioshock infinite and the other 2 bioshock are good. 

Can second the POrtals and Hotline Miami, it has a very short but crazy story.

I have been putting every free minute I have into Dragon Age Inquisition lately. IT has a great story, tons of side missions and other things to do (bigger world overall than Skyrim with more things to do). It is Bioware and basically plays like Mass Effect+Skyrim+Diablo.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Two brothers

The Assassin's Creed series have a rich alternate-dark-side-of-history kinda story, although, I'm not sure about the latest titles

Spec Ops: The Line

stalker, metro, singularity, gta

stalker and gta are open world games with great storylines

stalker, metro and singularity are all post apocalyptic games, fallout is also good but im not sure about storyline that much because i haven't spent much time playing it.