Network problems

So let’s start with the headliner. I have many problems as of now.

Steam, Teamviewer, Hamachi, Naming.

STEAM:>
I started Borderlands 2 yesterday, in order to play with a friend, the game starts, but when we are to connect to each other, there’s a connection problem, stating that one of us is using an earlier build of the game, steam don’t drop out different versions of the games depending on the OS it runs out of, I read up on it and it seems it’s a network device problem, I need to shut off all the devices I don’t use, and test again. So ipconfig…

NETWORK:>
enp5s0: (eth0)
ham0: (hamachi virtual network)
lo: (there is no place like home)
virbr0: (virtualbox? qemu? Virtual Network non the less.)

HAMACHI:>
Since we had problems with the network, I then installed hamachi, no front-end?! Terminal + Web browser in order to create a group. Really strange, but we created a group, both joined, we were on ‘the same’ network, started borderlands 2, changed the network settings to network, and voilá… Not found. We ended up just talking while playing separate.

Noticed today that I had two virtual networks, and I think that I recently set it up on VB, so I can just delete that there.

TEAMVIEWER:>
Next problem. I now don’t have any access on TeamViewer, which i used yesterday, it’s not logging in, stating that there isn’t any connection, so it’s probably using hamachi, which I don’t know how to disable.

ETH0:>
I also want to change enp5s0 to eth0, but I can’t find a systemd guide that I understand. Most guides suck, they state, do this, as if everyone knows what people are talking about. Bubbled devs.

DOUBLE STEAM:>
I installed steam, then I wanted to play HoMaM III HD, but it crashed, so I thought, OH, I can use lutris, STUPID IDEA. It installed steam again, this time a glitchy version that ended up crashing gnome for me. I forgot to set up timeshift, so I might have to re-install POP!_OS again. How do I uninstall the new steam installation?

TEAMVIEWER:>
I deleted the VirtualBox network that I created extra in VirtualBox. It’s name was not virbr0: "/ Now Teamviewer starts again. "/

“The match that you are trying to join is running an incompatible version of the game. Please try upgrading your game version.”

That is the message that I get. I cannot play cross-platform, and I wonder why.

May I ask why you’re playing this in a VM? I have my own reasons why I might do this (mainly the coolness factor), someday. But I’m curious what your reasons are/why other people might want to do this?

It seems like a lot of hassle many of us associate with productivity apps.

I am not playing this in a VM. I am talking about 4 different problems.
Borderlands is ‘native’ in linux, through the Steam application, there is no need for it to be played in a VM.

Oh, I have read that there has been some contention among game creators around cross platform compatibility within the same game. Companies want users on their platform over others, it seems, more than they want this compatibility to work in some cases.

I’m not sure if that’s in play in your case.

I am going to make a pass-through within 6 month’s though, I just need to buy the extra GPU, new PSU and 64GB of ram to share with The Windows VM. I don’t want to go back to dualbooting ever again. I rather use more money then actually go back to that shitstorm, and the more I learn here in my rebirth face of Linux, is probably going to help some. If it won’t work, then i’ll sell my games and go fully over to console gaming for the new games. I detest windows really, but if it’s just a vm for gaming, then it’s okay I suppose.

This is Borderlands 2. It’s a pc, it’s just not windows.

Yea, I can see relate to the desire to run Windows in a VM to avoid using it for anything else… For sure.

If keyboard and mouse gaming were practical in game consoles, I might consider making that switch too. I just love the upgradability factor of PC’s.

I still, also, like game consoles. Even if I’m terrible at games using a game controller. They are great for video streaming apps (they super enhance video and audio quality, in part, because of the enhancements made for the games).

1 Like

Is also fun, but it only uses dx9 so I can play it in a VM, hopefully. "/

Yea, that looks super irritating. I know Wendell did a video where he implemented GPU pass through in a VM, which I believe was running Windows as a guest. I think that was in the last year.

The software and steps he used were very specific, as I recall.

I’m unsure what Dx version was supported in that video though.

VM’s are usually restricted to DX10, well VMware is restricted to 10.1.
When you do a passthrough, you add VRAM and DX12 or whichever is installed gets activated at the spot. So it seems like I need another GPU. I wonder if I should perhaps buy a lighter card then the 580, for the host system, then use the 580 for the guest system.

Interesting… Yea, WIndows Server lets you pool them if you have a Remote FX license, and works beautifully (I had a temporary 1 month license some years back). But that’s very far from free.

In this case, I’ll just take your word for it, lol.

Theoretically, you are just putting in a new graphicscard and adding it to your windows computer, the host system is just an overgrown bios system. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: haha

I don’t like modern windows at all. But I gotta give huge props to Microsoft for RemoteFX. The short time I was able to use that in a VM, it was so well done.

Never tested.