Network device not visible on Minisforum MS-S1 Max on Fedora

I recently acquired a Minisforum MS-S1 Max, and installed Fedora 43 on it. However I can’t find the network cards; no entries for either NICs when I run ip addr. I can see the loop device and the wireless card.

I learned that it uses a new Realtek chip RTL8127, the driver seems to have been upstreamed for kernel 6.16+. F43 has kernel 6.18.6, so I’m not sure why my network card isn’t working.

Can someone offer some advice?

Hi @QuarkyPhysicist, I do have some suggestions for fixing your issue. I don’t think your issue has anything to do with a Fedora driver issue.

The MS-S1 Max uses Realtek RTL8127 10GbE, and support landed upstream around kernel 6.16. Fedora’s kernel should already have the driver, but if the NICs aren’t showing up in lspci at all, the OS never sees the hardware.

There are multiple reports of these RTL8127 ports disappearing entirely after reboot on this platform (Linux and Windows). A full power drain sometimes brings them back — shut down, unplug the power brick for ~30–60 seconds, then boot and check again.

If they still don’t appear in lspci -nn, I’d look at firmware/ACPI rather than Fedora:

Try disabling PCIe ASPM / deep power states (D3) in BIOS if available.

Update the BIOS/UEFI if there’s a newer release available.

Test a live USB (Ubuntu/Debian with a recent kernel) to rule out Fedora-specific quirks.

Key point: if the NIC isn’t enumerating on PCIe, no kernel driver will help.

2 Likes

Thanks! I recall reading something like this on Reddit, but didn’t quite understand it. Now I get it. Indeed when I run lspci I do not see the NICs, but I do see the various USB4 buses, and the MEdiatek WiFi card. I’ll try power cycling tonight when I’m home, and report back.

1 Like

That worked! I can see the network interfaces now. Hope all reboots don’t require power cycling, that would be quite annoying.

1 Like