Network Cable Too Short? (10gb)

I encounter a weird issue. Maybe it was a mistake that I bought an off-brand 8-port POE 10gb switch(Mokerlink). It refuses to work with 10gb mode. The nics that I am using are all intel x540-T2. They work fine with p2p configuration.
Finally, I find out 10gb mode only works with longer cable, 12ft or longer. I tried cat 5e, cat 6 and cat 7. I never experienced such limitations with p2p setup.

Have 10g working with cables shorter then 12ft on microtik and netgear so probably a get what you pay for situation with that no name brand

Sadly, I already did “Quiet Fan” mod on the switch. Return is not an option now. Right now, it is more cost effective just to build a “Forbidden Router” instead of buying 10Gb switch off the shelf.

I mean it works just weird cable lenght so not really a big deal

I bet its not the length, but something else

What cables are they?

1 Like

Tried 5ft cables, cat 5e, cat 6, cat 7. All failed. They only work with 1GB link speed.
The working ones that I tried are 20m Cat 7, and 12ft Cat 6. That’s why I say it is partialy due to the length.

I’m guessing its the quality of the shielding rather than the actual length. Theoretically shorter runs of cable is actually better.