Network appliance does not have IPMI for ESXi - how do I find a driver

I am new here and tried to pick the appropriate area and tags for this question.

This will be my first system running a Type 1 hypervisor. I have installed ESXi on my Hunsn network appliance with i5-8265u 32GB RAM to create a network homelab in a box. Before throwing a bunch of VMs at it, I wanted to check the fanless system’s temperature profiles and found that it doesn’t have IPMI support. How would I find the correct driver for system monitoring for ESXi on this nonstandard hardware?

This brings up the second part to my question. How likely is Proxmox to be able to monitor the system without chasing drivers. I was leaning toward ESXi for transferable experience, but have also considered Proxmox.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Oh, and this is the link to the hardware: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JHL7KBD

You likely won’t ever get system monitoring working if the hardware is not on the VMware HCL.

1 Like

That is what I was afraid of. I didn’t want to invest a bunch of time setting up a whole network stack if the hypervisor can’t keep itself from cooking the hardware.

I wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else searches the similar questions in the future.

I decided to wait until I have a proper server or approved hardware to get my feet wet with ESXi. I installed Proxmox and have already found a partial solution for viewing temps. It isn’t a part of the gui, but I can run it in the shell and check it occasionally while I learn the limits of the hardware.

apt-get install lm-sensors
sensors-detect
watch -n 1 sensors

sensors-detect leads you through a several step process, but it was easy. If I find a more permanent solution I will try to update the thread.