Netflix updates its Terms of Use,VPN outed?

With Netflix making a very big splash Down Under, launching in Australia and New Zealand recently, it shouldn't come as a big surprise that the streaming content giant has updated its Terms of Use, adding that the use of a VPN could have your account terminated.

full article: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/44481/netflix-updates-terms-use-terminate-accounts-vpns/index.html

Shame.

I guess it's back to Amazon Prime and Hulu,Crackle

They're trying to make deals with copyright holders to allow them to have the same library everywhere. I think they might be doing this to help the deals.

Why? You can already watch the content without a VPN.

Why you ask? When I started using VPNs I was logged in to a euro country and decided to watch netflix. I noticed that some of the offerings are different. I then realized that they offered different content for different areas. I don't understand how this would help them get the same library everywhere though as it would negate the need to use a vpn for the sole purpose of getting unavailable content. What a vpn would still do though is prevent an isp from throttling your stream or snooping on what you watch to send you adverts or other nefarious purposes.

It is also impotent to note the the title of the article that you use for this thread is patently false. The terms of service state nothing about a VPN anywhere. It does however say that

"You may view a movie or TV show through the Netflix service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such movie or TV show. The content that may be available to watch will vary by geographic location. Netflix will use technologies to verify your geographic location."

Given that I believe that I can still use a vpn inside my country and netflix won't give a shit.

@Chronos Netflix knows what country you purchased their services in. Netflix knows what country you are streaming services through. If those two do not match you are in violation of the tos I quoted above regardless of vpn use.

I think we all understand the reasoning and rationale for that policy. Netflix has contracts with people that they are diligently trying to uphold. However, the title is still misleading and patently false.

The problem is, especially with TV shows, that in some regions they won't put it on Netflix so they can sell the broadcast rights to TV networks for more.

The problem is that the media companies are more than likely hard balling Netflix into this change so they can continue to offer different distribution methods in different countries to maximize profit.

Well when I signed up for Netflix they needed my postcode (zip code) when I entered my credit card. So they do know what country you purchased their services in. If you use PayPal even worse as they'll probably hand over your whole address.

other than loosing your list and recommendations it really isn’t a big issue just resign up again with a different name.

plenty of disposable credit cards out there.

i had a quick look at the shows available here in oz cpmpared to the us one and it was fairly extensive.

my watch list has 9 shows on it but only 2 are available here.