Need stupid simple image manipulator

I’m looking for a KISS image manipulator. I’m doing really basic stuff that under Windows can mostly be accomplished with MS Paint. Specifically I’m looking for ways to resize and crop images without warping the art.

A concrete example would be taking a 620x1100 image, expanding it along one axis to 692 and cropping it on the other axis to 1024. At the same time, I don’t want to stretch or warp the image.

I also know zilch about canvases, layers, brushes, etc. and don’t really care to know given how infrequently I actually need to do this…

Try IrfanViewer… I’ve been using it for the last 15 years.

1 Like

Paint.Net is my favourite under windows. It’s free/gratis to use but is not under a free or open source licence.

https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

1 Like

Gthumb seems a handy little app for basic image manipulation, and might be in your repo?

If you run a gnome based system (Ubuntu, fedora etc) then I recommend shotwell. Should already be installed, right click and open with…

1 Like

I hear you. I’m surprised at how bad/buggy/unmaintained a lot of the simple “paint” programs are on linux.

The best one I found so far is KolourPaint. It does exactly what I want for simple tasks and is easy to use, just as I’d expect. It should be in default repos, at least it is on Fedora. It’s maybe unclear if you’re asking for a Windows or linux program.

As for this, I’m not sure how it’s possible to change the image ratio without stretching the image. But I’m no image expert.

1 Like

To some of the other commenters, I wanted to point out that I specifically want an image program for Linux.

@sceps Programs like GIMP are pretty well maintained, but they far exceed my photo editing competence. They’re far too complex for my needs and skill level.

To be clear about what I’m talking about, I’m talking about taking existing photos/images and resizing/cropping them for things like forum avatars and in-game portraits - without distorting them. Should be dead simple stuff, but there’s nothing out there really caters to that need. At least not that I’ve found.

I’ve tried Shotwell, and if I remember it allows cropping but that’s about it. I need to be able to rescale an image, then crop it, then re-center it. I’m sorry if that’s unclear, but that’s the best way I can put it. I’ll check out KolourPaint and see if a) it does what I want and b) I can figure out how to do it.

Thanks…

1 Like

LOL, I read the OP as you wanted an improved version of paint that was open source.

Anyhow, Pinta is pretty close to Paint.Net and is available for *nix OS’s

https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/

EDIT: Pinta has easy canvas and image resize options that allow you to keep or discard aspect ratios.

Thanks, I got Pinta and after beating my head against a wall for 30 minutes, I finally got it to do what I want it to. But that raises another question…

In Pinta, if I say want to paste in some clip art over top of a ‘background layer’ I can by going to Layer>Import image from file. The only problem is that Pinta automatically sticks it in the upper left hand corner. Is there any way to reposition the imported clip art (say to the bottom right, or bottom center)?

• gimp.
  • Krita.
  • Gtumb.

Gimp is likely one of the better ones out there.
Its also cross platform so linux and windows.