Need some info / help on a job decision. [need all the info I can get]

For the most part, I’m looking to start getting into my career path before its too late and the info that I have is useless. Yes, haha, pentium 4 memes, but what I like to do job wise is networking and server stuff and at home I have little use of it all.

Recently, a month ago, a company called TekSystems, they are a contractor, has picked up interest in me. They can get coders, IT, repair, no network people though. So basically I’d go on their site, look at available contracts, pick one or two if it worked out that way, and then tada I have a job. Sorta like manpower but with better options and pay. 12 dollars starting and I get benefits. But theres info that I don’t know how tho ask about because I don’t know how the process in general works. With that, theres questions I have about down time and certs that probably pertains to the company more than to you guys, but info about what ya’ll do would be good.

So basically, this:

1: What does the start / end of your contract look like? If you get one, do you start looking at what might be available at the end? And on average, what is the length of your contract?

2: What do your benefits packages normally look like? Is it good to do that with the company if they just make it available or would I look at doing that separate? (this is a major concern atm as I’m about to get booted off the family insurance because laws)

3: How do you know a contract is probably not a good choice? Do you go look where the place is located? Do you care? What would I do about a social problem on site?

4: What tools do you use? I have to buy my own, like crimper line tester etc, and I bought a crimper the other day, but IDK what good tools there are aside from a fluke 301. I don’t feel like spendingf 600 bucks for a full test and diagnosis kit though. I’m just starting, after all.

5: What does your day normally consist of?

All info is relevant as long as its relevant to your job. I know if I waited a bit I could get in as an IT worker at a school or office building, but I am getting a bit annoyed of the factory job that I have. Its not really what I wanted to be doing atm and I’m hoping to start on this asap, I’m just dry on info and don’t know what to ask. So any info on your experience when you got into this sorta work and what its like for you now would be great.

Thanks

1 Like
  1. Usually it’s like any first day, you meet people, get all the gear your company provides, go over your role with the manager, maybe shadow somebody for a day or two. The end is just that, they’ll usually give you a week or two’s notice (every contract for me), and then that’ll be it. Your agency (TekSystems) will likely call you the same day you find out to let you know if they have other clients that might be a good fit.

2. They usually suck. Get details before signing anything (hourly pay deductions for administrative costs are a COMMON practice, in addition to you inflated/subsidized premiums). I’ve had one experience with an agency where the benefits were comparable to what i’d expect as a full-time employee, so there are exceptions to the rule.

3. I generally look up the employer on glass door before taking any contract. Social problems are usually handled by your manager at the site.

4. This really depends on the gig. If you’re wiring ethernet for an office, yeah, you’ll be expected to have your own equipment. If you’re working in a datacenter doing chassis swaps and punch downs, tools will be provided.

5. Cant really give you much info on what a day looks like. My current gig is a contract with Scholastic (the kids book company) and they treat me like any of their FTE Systems Engineers. The only difference I’ve ever seen is sometimes myself and the other contractors are not invited to company “all hands” meetings. They also have 0 FTE’s that are 100% remote, which was one of my requirements, so I doubt they’ll ever buy out my contract.

Extra: I’d ask what the buy out rate is with the client. If they usually convert to full-time after 90 days, then maybe shitty insurance would be worth it. You need to get as much information out of the recruiter about compensation as early as possible so you don’t end up blind sided (like I was) about how bad their insurance is, or management costs.

1 Like

If you dont mind working in the industrial sector networking control systems, asi safety networks, data communications over a broad spectrum of interfaces, maintaining mission critical server systems. then these positions would be for you.
factory corporate IT! you would often travel to the different plants as assigned by the regional manager. you could receive wages around 45 to 60 an hour plus per-diem, mileage, and travel expenses! excellent medical benefits and they usually provide your tools.
but i have to warn you it is high pressure jobs!

network systems consultant! I dont know the wages they receive but its substantial.

automation systems programmer! as it implies learning ladder logic in ABB. Modbus, profibus, and scada, you would be programming anything from advanced inspection equipment, automated packaging systems, and conveyor/ elevator systems.
traveling techs at this can earn over 100 grand a year with overtime.

benifits are generally good including 401k and stock options!

1 Like

I uh, I’m just starting my guy. I can have all that when I’m 35 xD

Definitely consider that anything can be taken out of your pay, so barter for higher wage if possible. For instance, some contracts don’t pay for holidays. If you want a full paycheck those weeks, you either make up the hours somehow, or negotiate for a lower pay to get paid holidays.
Same goes for sick leave and paid time off (vacation). If you never get sick and never take vacation, it might be better to only take a pay cut on an as needed basis so end up with more long term.
Also be wary of 401k’s on contracts. They sometimes don’t vest until you’ve been there for years, and the contract doesn’t last that long. So you basically only end up with the money you put in yourself, without a match.
Adding any kind of health benefit, including disability insurance (worker’s comp), usually comes out of your pay.
Once all is said and done, your $12 might only be $8 before taxes, if you don’t read the fine print. The sad part is that they can get away with it, even if your state’s minimum wage is above $8, because they’re technically paying $12.

EDIT: On the flip side, any experience will help propel you in the right direction, so if you can muddle through it, do it.

Fucking highway robbery at this point even amazon workers are getting $15 an hour. Fucking assholes.

@reikoshea got the start right. The end depends on the size of the company and laws defining how long a worker can be on contract. When I worked at big name insurance company they had to hire you after a year. So it was made clear that I could come back after the three month wait, although I definitely didn’t do that.

The company I’m at now…I think I’m hired? I dunno, a check goes into my account every week.

Pay and benefits. I can deal with a lot more shit than most people though so long as I know the people I’m working with are decent people, and typically they are. There’s always that one douche bag though. Try to document his lack of work and get him fired. Worked for me twice. (I’m not talking about general laziness either. I’d sometimes go on a 30 minute smoke brake with the Infrastructure team but I got my work done. This some actual braking of procedure and legal action needed or extreme lack of cooperation and work ethic kinda shit.)

If you’re only being paid $12 an hour you should need nothing but your fucking hands. It’s a pro if you can bring your own tools. Not a requirement.

Currently the only tools I really have are things like a crimper, a laptop, and some random assortment of adapters and connectors. If you need a tool you’ll know.

My work is probably massively different then what you’re doing. But it normally consists of contacting a lazy client and then rolling my eyes when shit is on fire after ignoring me, making changes that need to happen on the server side of things so that everything works, and then any other random shit that ends up in my ticket queue. Sorry for the massive run on sentence. Sue me.

True. Certs can help as well, so long as the cert is above your current work experience skill level. If you’re already working at this place for $12 just go get those networking certs if that’s what you’re comfortable with. As long as you can get to the interview and you can demonstrate you know your shit well enough you can go places.

Don’t put more into the place than you’re getting out either. If they don’t pay overtime GTFO when you hit your 40 hours. If your manager is going to take the credit for everything you do either make sure you’re the one writing the emails to people about what happened and what you did. Don’t pick up the slack of shitty coworkers, let them burn.

Don’t think your personal experience at home won’t affect anything either. I got my net+ because I had built a pfsense router and some study, and after explaining the kind of home lab I had it pushed me ahead of the other hires they were thinking about. Also helps that some, even light experience with 3 different OSes still looks good to people. Lets them know you can branch out and learn.

It’s never going to be the biggest factor, but it definitely can be a positive influence when interviewing.

2 Likes

no contest there. I’d take the 12 just to not work for Amazon.

2 Likes

Look for Contract W2, that usually means the company will hire you on at the end of your trial period. TekSystems has a lot of these, generally. I’ve gone through them a couple of times.

When I was with TekSystems, it was the Affordable Care Act market stuff. If you’re younger than 26, try to stay on your parents (if they are in a situation to provide that). TekSystems can opt to take you off the contract if you miss too many days, but, generally, if you work it out with the company it’s not that big of a deal.

Ask why the position is open. Ask how large the team size to client base is. If there are 8 people in I.T. and you’re supporting 5,000+ that’s going to suck, especially depending on their help desk situation. Regarding a social problem, be professional. You don’t have to be friends. If they’re curt or rude, just say hi and bye, answer any question that comes your way.

What was available. You can ask if there is a company reimbursement, ask if there is a price limit, etc. I bought some cool stuff, but only got reimbursed for less than $100. Also, the stuff that was reimbursed, the company kept.

Regarding TekSystems, they have a really cool PluralSight/Linux Academy kind of thing for people that are under contract with them. It’s not the best, but they have e-books, videos, and PDFs on Linux, InfoSec, Computer Science, and a full range of topics. A lot of people don’t take advantage of that. Ask your recruiter for a link and to sign you up. They had Linux certs, Cisco certs, etc. All kinds of training material.

Good luck, man. You’re way too smart to be where you’re at now. Please let me know if you have any questions. Not only have I been through TekSystems, but I knew a few people there still. I was also in corporate I.T. for a while.

TekSystems is pretty good, for the most part. Some horror stories. My friend just got hired at Splunk and TekSystems got him the contract there. He got hired on full time as a systems engineer working on their Linux side.

2 Likes

I also like this thread because I may be getting a potential contract job as a Network Technician soon. I like how people are explaining the pitfalls and things to look for. Sorry I hijacked your thread @FaunCB

1 Like

You made me feel a lot better about this then. There was a guy yelling at me about how stupid I was being trading stability for a career on telegram. UwU

Not a problem just have self control.

And yeah, its nice to have data when you’re a neetmlike me. Lol.

1 Like

Hm… Can’t imagine what he was on about. Even if it was a 6 month contract, when you’re up you’re up, what would that matter? That’d be six months more experience than you have now. I know a guy that does DoD and Army contracts all the time. That’s been his main income the last three or four years. He’s “gone up” in the ranks, too. Started as a Windows guy but now he does Linux and InfoSec stuff.

It pays well, if that’s what you’re into. TekSystems has both. I preferred the Contract to Hire, personally. It worked out well, for what it’s worth.

If I can live off the contracts I’ll do that. Experience as many work environments as possible.

Yeah no my excitement for this is back again.