Need recommendations: sound system for 100+

Coming up in a few months, there will be a gathering of about 100 people in a venue that (legally) supports that number. I don’t have a lot of experience in sound systems for larger than maybe a home theater and not sure something like that would be practical for the event. The music will be from a phone or laptop I don’t need audiophile approval just good enough for kids and inebriated adults to dance to.

I have found an option already but don’t know what to really look for. Samsung MX-T70 seems promising. But if anyone has better suggestions I’d very much appreciate it. Details are as follows…

The room (indoors) area is approximately 1500 square feet with ceilings about 20 foot up. I am unable to access the ceilings or attach anything to the walls but floor is fair game. The music can be at the dance floor area which is about 400 square feet.

Some sort of microphone input would be needed

Wall power is available but cables that would need to go between speaker units would have to be run.

The music can originate at the dance floor area and does not have to carry evenly throughout the entire room.

Budget is ~$1k USD

Thank you in advance!

Is it an Option to rent from a Local Event Company?

Or does the equipment need to stay there permanently?

3 Likes

Like he said, if it is a one time event then renting out from a service company should cost you anywhere from 2-300USD … ask for a pair of powered PA speakers and a mixer that can have a mic input and a line in input (for the phone)

If you need it for repeat events/you want an excuse for getting something that can put out a lot of decibels, then a pair of these:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B115MP3--behringer-eurolive-b115mp3-1000w-15-inch-powered-speaker
and one of these
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q1202USB--behringer-xenyx-q1202usb-mixer-with-usb
plus cables will cost you around 900USD and get the room filled with low to decent quality sound, but very loud :slight_smile:
That mixer will also accept a usb in from a PC/ipad if needed …

You can go direct to the speakers with both mic and phone, but line out level /bluetooth from the phone will suck (volume will be really low), bad, and you wil think your speakers suck, where in reality it’s just your phone out that isn’t giving out enough volts …

2 Likes

Quoting myself, this shows how to go at it without the mixer (line out from the phone will suck in terms of levels/output strength)

1 Like

Thank you both

No the equipment isn’t permanent. Renting could be an option. I would have to see what places would be willing to rent equipment out.

Thank you for the suggestions and links I will add that to my list to check out when I have a minute. I will also check into rental equipment if there is a local place that does it. I appreciate the advice and info

1 Like

Like mentioned by @felixthecat, renting a pair of powered PA speakers (and stands) is the way to go.

2 Likes