Need recomendations..On a hot air station

So I am wanting to buy a hot air station..Would prefer not to spend over 90$..
I was looking at something like this..I like that it has a voltmeter..

or this

I already have a solder iron

But I think it would be nice to have an all in one set up too..
I need to replace the DC jack on my mom's laptop and this give me a reason to buy something new..

I have only replaced capacitors in a monitor with some solder wick and a solder sucker..Really do not solder that often..But I like to have the stuff when I do need it..

So I would like suggestions, or overall general advice I have never had a hot air station..
Oh and as always I will not forget to use the levelonetechs affiliate tag.. /?tag=level1techs-20

EDIT: Really don't want to spend over $100..More like I don't want to spend over $90..This stuff will rarely get used..

1 Like

Added some tags.

Also will be watch because I am in the market as well.

I have read how-to's on using a toaster oven as a reflow oven.

@Adobe_Flash_Player @NonServian

I actually own the Yihua 853D, which is the exact same rework station as your first link, however, just branded under Yihua. I already wrote a sort-of review for it already, so I'll copy-paste it here, with slight edits:

TL;DR: There is a lot of bad about it, however, as a nooby, it is an amazing tool which I use very often, and am in love with. Considering the price (in comparisons with other similar products), it is a steal, and I highly recommend all hobbyist of electronics and circuits to get one. I actually do use the hot-air gun more often than the soldering gun since it's easier to remove things like capacitors and resistors from with it (I often salvage stuff from old/dead electronics).

Bad:
-It can only output 1A MAX from 0-15V (get's super hot at 1A, most likely due to a transformer running at near-max of what it is recommended to do)
-The soldering iron does not hold heat very long (low heat capacity), so if you try to solder onto something with a large ground plain, or has a huge heatsink, lol good luck. I tried to solder onto this (the image below) and it failed badly.

-The temperature monitor for the soldering iron seems super inaccurate (never tested, but seems wrong when in use)
-When I use the hot air, it causes my lights to flicker (the hot-air is constantly trying to keep a steady temp, with, what I guess, bad filtering)
-The tips wear out pretty quick for my type of (bad) soldering habbits
-The sponge has practically disintegrated from use, so either stock up, or buy one of those copper/brass sponge things
-The hot-air gun will ofter spit out some of the shiny metal-like insulation from the inside, which may surprise you at first, but you quickly get used to it.
-I never opened it up, however, I guarantee that I would find some pretty bad things going on inside of this thing, since it's typical for cheap Chinese electronics. Ex: shit caps, bad grounding connection, bad PCB layout, lack of insulation, etc

Good:
-It works fairly well
-It's very cheap in comparison to most other rework stations
-Replacement parts are cheap ($20 for new hot air gun/soldering iron, $2 each tip)
-Uses a fan instead of a compressor to blow air (quieter, cheaper to replace)

And really, that's about the end of the good from it. As you can see, there is a lot more wrong with it than good. However, after all that, I am completely in love with it. I use it at least once a week, and have easily used it for more than 100 hours, and dropped the hot-air gun multiple times, with only a small part of the ceramic-like material breaking inside (it still works, though!)

Do I recommend it? Fuck yeah, especially if you're a nooby like I am, and are only getting into the hobby. Don't bother spending more than $200 on a rework station, because you have no idea if you'll even like the hobby. However, be aware of the cons of it, because at such a low price, there will obviously be a lot of them.

If you do buy a soldering iron of any type, get lots of tips (if you do component based stuff, buy lots of smaller tips). I've only used my rework station for about a total of 100 hours, and have gone through about 3 tips on my soldering iron.

Similar question asked here: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/buying-soldering-station-any-suggestions/110311/21

Edit: Buy flux. I regret not buying flux much earlier in the hobby, since it makes soldering/desoldering so much easier (especially with the solder wick).

2 Likes

check out Louis Rossman
he has some in depth reviews of electronic repair tools.
He is a business so the tools could be a little out of the $90 range
like this, this, or this video on the tools he uses {he does have a disclaimer at the start}

check his store if you can’t find some of the videos
https://store.rossmanngroup.com/

yeah man I am not spending $600 on a hot air station..

1 Like

What is your hobby?

Basically everything electronics; fixing old and broken stuff (monitors, desktop motherboards, laptop battery packs (not individual cells, obviously), switch-mode power supplies, to name the types of things that I've fixed up to this date), salvaging components from old electronics (capacitors, resistors, inductors, switches), and building simple electronic circuits (still very much a nooby).

Using the hot-air for fixing a recent 1920*1200 monitor made it a much, much easier fix, plus, removing components (passive and active) is like 10x easier with a hot-air gun.

Edit: I'm also interested in the bigger picture of things (CPU's, RAM, HDD's, you get the picture), hence why I hang out on this forum. My hobby of electronics is very broad, and consists of the whole computer, all the way down to individual circuits.

I have the Aoyue 469 and these tips

and this flux..

Kinda looking at this as well..

I don't do this kind of stuff very often..Just like to have tools if I need them..

Oh yeah I have this,too..

OFF TOPIC

Wish I could fix my Acer V226HQLAbd..I just don't know what is wrong with it..Went out and mowed the yard, came back in after a couple of hours and it just says no signal..Changed cables and all that still nothing..Checked the caps and they look good..But I was thinking about changing them anyway to see if that would fix it..

That does not sound like a SMPS issue... I honestly would have no clue what would be the issue for that, since up to this point, I've mainly fixed LCD and SMPS issues.

Yeah I don't know what to do..So it just sits in a corner until I figure something out..
Edit: this would probably fix is..

Might buy it in a few weeks if it is still around..Or you know buy another monitor for 30-50$

Wow +1 to that very detailed review. I guess you get what you pay for that being said it definitely seems like a good buy to those who are just starting out

1 Like

Hi,

I have 2 of those.
858D cheapo ...

about 30€

I actually don't know why you should want anything bigger and more expensive ?
The only downside is the heating element and fan in the handle but i don't care, it works!

And i do motherboard reworks, im tring to fix a Razer Blade 14 2014 ...
QFN and such is no problem ..

Ended up buying this for less than $50..

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there is a lot of bad about Yihua 853D, however, as a nooby, it is an amazing tool which I use very often, and am in love with. Considering the price (in comparisons with other similar products), it is a steal, and I highly recommend all hobbyist of electronics and circuits to get one. I actually do use the hot-air gun more often than the soldering gun since it's easier to remove things like capacitors and resistors from with it.

prototype circuit board assembly

Here are some cheap options, but I`m not sure that it is a good idea to buy cheap stuff instead of buying smth more expensive but more reliable.

the standard cheapo 858 … Cheapo hot airs are ok, they aren’t great and there are better stations out there but they get the job done.
On the hard jobs like desoldering powerstages from motherboards, they don’t have enough power, so i needed 2 of them, one blasting from above, the other from below, but it worked.

If you plan to do stuff as job then you might want to consider better options.

Closed at request of op.