Need recomemdation: What's the reasonably priced 48 port 10gbaset switch in 2024?

I have a dell powerconnect 8164 and an arista 7050tx right now but am wondering if there are quieter and more power efficient options these days?
I need ~60 10 gig ethernet ports in one location and am adding another location that will need at least 24 and another location that will need at least 12 plus some ideally faster than 10 gig connector to join the locations ( they are within ~30 meters of the original location) I was thinking pick up 2-3 more arist 7050tx and go 40gig for the backhaul network but I am hoping there is a more power efficient/less noisy option now that it’s been another five years since I bought my last arista. Also, has anyone fan swapped the arista units? They are pretty loud.

1 Like

Does nobody have anything to say on this because the 7050tx is still the best answer or because there is no good answer yet?

You just arent really going to find many options in high density 10GBASE-T. It never took off and very few people make those switches. Most are old enterprise ones that tried to jump on the train and then realized no one cared so they didnt make new ones. So you will mostly find old, power hungry models that came out 10+ years ago. Your best bet for less heat and noise would be the Ubiquiti USW-EnterpriseXG-24, which uses about 50% less power than the Arista. It isnt nearly as capable of a switch though.

Or just go the better direction and switch to a more efficient technology than base-t

Is this a home lab or office installation? Do you “require” BaseT because at 10g options kinda suck for affordable <> quiet.

It’s for my house. I have a mix of 10gig ethernet stuff and 1 gig ethernet stuff living on the switches about 30% of it is 10gig, the other 70% is 1gig. Its’ 10gbaset because that’s what my house is wired for. I think I’m going to get a second 7050tx and try and move a bunch of my stuff off the 10ggi to the 40 gig breakout to 4X 10 gig plus wire the third location to hopefully be able to just wire into the second location rather than have it’s own thing (I will wire some fiber too in case this changes in the future and I want to go back to a 3 location setup)

Alternately, are you aware of any 48 port 2.5 gig switches that have 40gig qsfp+ compatible with the arista? Bonus points for smaller form factor.

Looking at it some more, I think I could rearrange everything to use something like the 48 port 1 gig 4X10 gig sfp, 2 X40gig sfp+ found on the microtik CRS354-48G-4S+2Q+RM, I just feel stupid buying something like that at this point when it should really be 2.5 gig ports by now. I wonder when they are going to update that to 2.5 gig?

So all my 10g stuff is located in my lab, and that is where I wired up my 10g network. The rest of the house is a mix of 2.5 and 1g which currently I run on all 1g because realistically its all I need.

https://www.netgear.com/business/wired/switches/fully-managed/msm4352/

With 4x 10g you can aggregate that down into a single 40gb if you want but tbh 40gb is dead.

the Netgear may offer the best choice in multi-gig w/ 10g uplink outside of 10g used enterprise equipment like the Arista. It also should not have the same software licensing challenges that come with decommissioned enterprise equipment.

The key to understanding mikrotik is that they pick hardware / chipsets towards the end of the adoption curve. So once 2.5Gb chipsets and technology gets cheaper, we’ll see them start to adopt more of it.

A lot of the 2.5Gb switches up to now have had more expensive designs due to needing separate components for each 2.5Gb port on switches. When they’re all integrated into one chip we’ll see a flood of devices come out, including mikrotik.

I decided to just pick another 7050tx up and try and shoehorn everything into the two and use the 40 gig between them.

If you don’t mind the noise this can be a 128-port 25Gb switch.

The ServeTheHome guy reviewed one a while back, and apparently it’s solid. This is supposed to be a newish construction so not in danger of the Atom bug.

If 25Gb is a problem, you could get a similar thing but with 40Gb ports, those break out into 4 10 gig links.