Need new daily driver

I’m in need to replace my daily driver. My Plex server died and my current desktop will become my Plex Server.

Here is my issue. I will NOT use Windows 10 anymore, I gave Windows 10 some rope and it tried to hang me with it. Windows 10 caused 3 machines to have issues to the point of not being usable. 2 of the machines were older but the one was less than a year old.

I’m thinking about an iMac. Was told between that and the Mac mini the iMac was a better value. I was going to get the 4K model with the quad core, 16 Gigs of Ram and 256 gig SSD. I would go for a MacBook Pro as I could still utilize my 2 1080p monitors but they seem to have QA issues.

Thoughts? Should I consider Apple care? Any other suggestions welcome, besides use Windows 10 because I refuse.

Someone is more then likely going to come in and recommend that you use Linux. Have you ever used it before? Do you need software that only runs on a Mac?

1 Like

I have to an extent. I actually had it installed on my old Plex server. But it was a pain to get my NAS to work with it. I need something easy to use. Plus I should mention I have an iPhone which is why I was considering Apple.

Though if I build a Linux box I might be able to afford a Chromebook for when I’m in bed.

2 Likes

@jacarroll417 I have a 2014 MBP (Retina) that I use as my daily driver. I dual boot it with Windows 10, and can say that I quite honestly love it. I know there’s a lot of hate in the IT/tech community against Apple, but I have never had any issues (really).

@Eden I believe you could also give some good insight on the Apple-side of hardware/tech as well?

What I will say is this: find exactly what you want to use the machine for, and make a checklist (a spreadsheet is excellent). Put the most important features/uses you need at the top and then proceed to make notes next to each determining if the hardware/OS will fulfill that need.

NOTE: I do say all of this as an absolutely lover of Linux as well. If you do choose to venture down that rabbit hole, know that you can definitely get some help here!

Macs are great and awesome. You will have less headaches with them for sure.

Three things to keep in mind however;

1. They are expensive. Like, reeeeeally expensive. While you will get a lot of hardware for those money, it might be a tad more than you need, and these days you will pay an additional $200-$250 for the Mac experience (e.g. $250 more than a similar Linux specced box would cost). And then we’re not counting the services Apple has started to charge an arm and soon, a leg for.

2. You will be placing your future of your computing at the whims of Apple, just like you previously did with Microsoft. This is not an inherently bad thing, but Apple will make a lot of decisions for you. Need CUDA? Apple only runs AMD, sorry! Want OpenGL or a 3.5 headphone jack? Oh yeah, they removed those. And so on. If you are fine with that, read on.

3. Apple hardware tends to play perfect with Apple hardware. Others, not so much. If you own an iPhone the Mac will be a perfect companion. If you want to use your Razr gaming mouse, well not all functions might work. The walled garden of Apple products though? Amazing, simply amazing. And again, expensive as heck.

Apple brings good value for the money, but they don’t do cheap. For better or worse. Personally not a fan of that, but ymmv.

Like @WolfTech716 says, a lot of us have made the jump to Linux, so help is available. If you do want to try the linux route, I recommend Pop!_OS for the “just works” or Manjaro if you like to tinker around.

1 Like

According to Louis Rossmann the newer ones are the ones having the issues. I think the 2014 version he said was safe for the most part. I just don’t want to buy a MacBook Pro and have issue with the keyboard, battery, the T2 chip frying out or the ribbon cable for the screen breaking. Which are the common issues. Though the iMac should still support my monitor(s). Not sure if I could fit the iMac and 2 23 inch monitors on my desk.

2 Likes

Like I said I most will be surfing the net and watching videos. And to be honest I currently use an AMD GPU. Also I use a pair of Bluetooth headphones as well.

The 3rd party hardware might be an issue, but I do recall mechanical keyboards with the Apple layout. I’m a Cherry MX Blue guy.

I’d be cool going to Linux BUT does it have iTunes? I need to have a machine with iTunes support just in case for my phone. I believe you need iTunes for iOS updates. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Looks like iTunes work in wine, otherwise use a VM+win10.

Again, Apple and other devices are spotty at best.

The main potential QA issue you consider with the MacBooks is the possibly keyboard issues, this seems to be very dependant on type of usage I’m not sure anyone has pinned it down to something specific yet.

I’ve had no issues myself and it seems like it has been improved over the past iterations.

That said, there’s no real worry if you do have an issue down the line as Apple has a program in place for all those MacBook versions. They’ll fix it for free.

On the iMac or Mac mini. It depends on usage. I wouldn’t discount the Mac mini especially if you already have other hardware to plug into it.

One thing I will say is if you have any other Apple hardware your life is about to get easy.

It’s ridiculous. Even my printer ‘just works’ with Apple easier than windows and linux.

I can give more info on Sunday or if I can answer any questions then too.

3 Likes

Not an option. I will never install or use Windows 10 on any of my hardware. Even in a VM. Microsoft poured gasoline on the bridge and lit it on fire with me. I’m not dealing with little to no QA on updates, broken drivers, and bugs that will never be fixed. I’m pissed that I still have to provide tech support for my moms Windows 10 machine.

Wine from what little experience I have had in the past was very hit or miss. Even if the software works, some of the features may not. I need to know that the software will work with out being wonky. I want every thing to be stable and work. I do t want the broken Windows 10 like experience.

To be very honest not Windows 10 is considered too buggy for you Linux will be worse.

I have been using Linux for about 12ish years. And *nix for around 20. Love it but it is most definitely not a bug free experience.

Look at an iMAC with and iPad Mini or a MacBook Pro tbh.

Or Even a Higher end Chrombook would work depending on the software you use, You can run Linux software in ChromeOS via Crostini if you so choose and have Android apps.

What phone do you have? Apple support iOS updates over the air, no iTunes needed.

You do need iTunes if you want to make manual backups no in iCloud for example.

3 Likes

What about looking for a tested hardware combination that allows you to install Mac OS? Since you’re just surfing the web and you already have a couple of displays a basic Intel configuration with iGPU should suffice. There are ready to go configurations for some hardware (usually the wifi/bluetooth card and sound card are problematic if you’re bulding an hackintosh) online if I recall correctly.
I get why you like Mac OS but you agree that the hardware is uselessly tied down by Apple and it’s more form over function.

OP is looking for simple. I have ran hackintosh VMs and it isn’t simple.

If you want a great Linux experience and it is just for light work, then I would go with this SFF:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sBRszY

Costs $547, small as a Mac mini, packs enough punch to run many AAA on medium settings and enough cores to run a VM. Only problem is that you will have very few options for upgrades with that case.

If you want more place for a GPU and a beefier CPU I recommend the Silverstone Sugo 05-Lite instead, it can’t take all GPUs but it is great for airflow.

There is also the Node 304 if you want something smaller than full size but still more traditional.

Good to know. I have the XR by the way.

1 Like

First you need a Mac to download Mac OS. I don’t have one. Second I’m looking for a stable experience, where I don’t have to tinker with it to get it to work. Hackintosh is not that from what I have read.

My only issue with Linux is that is not as Plug and Play. I mean I installed Ubuntu LTS on my Plex Server. It was litterly pain and misery trying to get it to talk to my NAS in such a way that the Plex Server app could see the contents. OH and I guess I used the wrong version of Plex, as I guess the one from the Ubuntu store doesnt talk to NAS’s or something to that degree. Thats at least what I was told on the Plex Fourms. I then had to install the verison directily from Plex.

In my younger years I was in to tinkering. But as I get older, I have lost most of my paitents. Years in customer service will do that to you. Im honestly suprised that I am able to use this Raspberry Pi 3b+ for internet access. Its slower than a turtle. Only 2 tabs at a time however. Any more than that and it locks up.

But then again I looked at what the Apple Tax was going to cost. Its hard to stomach.

The i3 i Mac model with 16 Gigs of Ram, 256 Gig SSD, and Apple Care is like $1868. That doesnt take in to account the adapter cable I would need to get one of my monitors hooked up. Plus I would need to buy a hard disk encolsure to use one of my current 1TB drives to mass storage. Adding that all up Im up to just over $2k. God help me if I want the i5 Version. Thats like $2.2 K. The cheapest option is the Macbook Pro 13", but with Apple’s track record with their mobile line up Im not sure Im willing to take a chance.

Im fine building me a computer. Ive done it before and its the part I really enjoy. There is nothing like the smell of a new motherboard. But its the software side I stuggle with, because I have little to no paitents for bullshit. Which is why I have little to no paitents for Windows 10 any longer.

I don’t have any first hand experience but, from what I’ve read, once you’re set up there’s nothing to tinker anymore. It’s just about making the wifi/bluetooth and audio drivers working. Also if you want a MacOS image you can start a MacOS VM with VMWare using a program to unlock it and making it able to run MacOS and preare your USB drive from there.

But I get that you want something plug and play so my suggestion is buying a Mac Mini since you already have displays. As weird as it sounds it’s easier to service down the line compared to an iMac. Even to just dust it off.

If you are worried about the setup and compatible hardware, preinstalled Linux computers are available, just harder to find. I can recommend System 76, but I have also heard great things about Dell, Lenovo and to a lesser extent HP.

I was just under the impression you wanted to build your own. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like