Need last min advice: building 3700x system after 9 years

You might also consider a Linux distro ? Instead of eol 7. Pop Os is the latest flavor of the day . Mint just came out with latest version. Fedora even. I lean towards Mint as a decent 7 like experience.

If you have hung on to windows 7 this long… You have enough techinical chops to use Mint/ any Linux distro.

Yeah, good luck getting Adobe to run well on Linux though. It’s a royal pain.

I see that at the bottom… What are the alternatives ? People and their photoshop… They basically have a gun to their head.

I can not recommend staying on 7.

Asking people to change the software they use for their job is like asking someone that works with tools for a living to change from their favorite brand. You just don’t do it unless you’re prepared to hear both the practical and the completely subjective reasons they don’t want to. And that’s oversimplifying things because in software sometimes your forced to use certain tools because of your clients, etc. Nevermind their preference or even desire to find another workflow but don’t have the time (or money) to devote to it.

I agree there, but what can you do? I have family I can’t convince, I’m not going to convince a stranger and he does have his reasons.

openshell and tell them there was a huge update to 7 :wink:

For Photoshop, not a whole lot. Gimp has a bunch of features that Photoshop has, but not all and it has a different flow. Krita is in the same boat as Gimp where it’s close, but still isn’t PS.

1 Like

No, Novastark, I appreciate your advice.:wink:

Frankly, I don’t consider that I’m running Win 7 or Win 10 or Mac OS. I spend 95% of my time in Photoshop, illustrator, Lightroom, Firefox and Chrome. Then VLC. All of these run about the same on any of those platforms.

Sorry if it sounded like I was saying you, specifically, were being unresonable/stubborn. I just was just speaking from experience doing support work when I was younger.

True, but you’re sticking with Win7 both because it’s familiar/less overhead and that you don’t want to have to shell out for new versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Or did I just assume that?

Add in another vote for Windows 10 here - or at the very least, 8.1.

Running 7 will pretty soon make as much sense as running XP on the Zen2 architecture. Unless you have a real reason holding you back (like, a program you absolutely, absolutely need does not work on 10) then staying on 7 after it sinks beneath the waves will be difficult.

As you are tied to the Adobe products, Adobe will cut Windows 7 loose as soon as they can get away with it. This means you cannot upgrade your Creative Cloud programs anymore, and as old versions stop being supported you will soon be unable to open up client files. This is a risk that I would find completely unacceptable in my business, but YMMV.

Ergo, your only option is to jump ship to Windows 10, or bite the bullet and buy a Mac. The longer you delay, the more your business will be hurting in the long run.

Don’t agree with that? Tough, take it with Adobe and Microsoft.

And to be honest. My 2010 i7 860 16gb ram win 7, does fine for most of what I do. PS can be a bit slow opening 2gb tiff files, I can’t really play 1080p x265 HEVC in VLC, Lightroom is a dog. I needed more than 16gb system RAM now 32gb for PS.

The ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 was clocked near 3,000mbs, while my 500gb Crucial SATA SSD is around 480mbs.

I figured they were up to their old tricks but I didn’t want to assume it either. Things have gotten better in regard to Office Suites and such… and there is common file formats, but… they’ll always have their program specific formats that are the only way to utilize all their features.

The board supports bios flashback right?
So no supported cpu needed to flash the bios.

Getting windows7 to work will be a little bit of a challenge.
Because windows7 by default does not support usb3.0 and nvme.
So make sure you either have a modified iso with drivers for it added in.
Or you gonne need to use a ps2 keyboard and a dvd drive for installing windows7.
But then you will still need drivers for the nvme post installation.

Thanks, Unfortunately, I need the older AMD to bio flash the Asus Prime x470:-) So a couple more days to wait. Fry’s wouldn’t flash it for me. And they had no AMD chips in stock.

I’ve already slipstreamed all the Asus drivers and NVMe hotfix to my ISO.

crashfree bios 3 strikes again. no flashback for this bad boy.

1 Like

Ah okay, i was kinda expecting it to have it. :slight_smile:
But obviously not then.
Typical Asus, you can´t have it all. :wink:

Its okay, I waited 9 years for a new PC 2-3 more days is fine.

Waiting is indeed hell. Where’s my bios AMD?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I just got an email my bios CPU comes in Tuesday (tomorrow). Unfortunately I will be out most of the day.

Well, that’s a pain in the arse. Around here they just drop them at the door and half the time don’t even ring or knock. So far there hasn’t been any thefts but I figure it’s only a matter of time. And then the local cops will be payed by Amazon to encourage everyone to install cloud based door bells… and the vicious cycle continues… except for the part where they can’t force me to buy one. :stuck_out_tongue: …yet…

1 Like