Need help

Hey has one seen this before. 15171785610001f69e36226da191479ed54cabb6fa499430eb1f94cd92fc4c1557398018ebd536b350fa03819743651eb1046e318e17136ae70979963612fc4dcb9850c32ad2a I can kinda login in on safe mode but it still flashes and can’t get any menus to show up. Also recovery environment also works.

It’s not the cables, monitor, or gpu.

By menus, do you mean monitor menus?

What have you tried? Another monitor? Another cable? Another GPU?

• What os are you running and hardware spec?

So it a three monitor setup it does this with all the monitors even on igpu. I got logged in on safe mode but it kept flashing and I couldn’t got to run or start menu. It’s a windows 10 Education on a 4th gen i5 and a r9 380.

I have a fix: Ubuntu 17.10

Hard to run LabVIEW, Microsoft office and other windows programs for school on Ubuntu as much as I want to.

Just out of curiosity, what all apps do you use? Office runs in wine just fine.

Does it happen in the BIOS? Or only in windows?

2 Likes
  • i recommend to make a ubuntu live usb stick to test if it is a windows problem and if this problem also persist on the live ubuntu usb stick then it must be a hardware problem.

• If you have extra hardware laying around use that to test the gpu and ram if you can. If the system is a OEM system like dell or lenovo it can have som hardware test utility in the bios.

ArgGrr it works fine in the bios works and the windows recovery environment. Only does it in the fully load windows os.

Does it happen in safe mode?

I think it does, as above.

Best I can suggest is try boot off the recovery media/partition and see if you can repair the windows installation.

Otherwise, you will have to try and backup your data and do a clean install, see if that helps. If you have the ability to make a USB live installation of windows, that will be helpful for troubleshooting, assuming it doesn’t also crap out.

1 Like

Missed that, whoops.

Office 365 with project LabVIEW, jmp, multisim. Provided by school.

Happens on — integrated, r9 380
Regardless of — monitor, cable
Running — Windows

Not in — BIOS/UEFI, Windows recovery environment

Running a livecd linux environment sounds like the next step.

Could you give more detail as to when it starts flashing like that? At login prompt? Once your desktop appears? When you try to open the start menu?

On login, I get the background for the log in it goes to the desktop and then it starts. I have it set up for auto login.

Ok so I kinda did what you told me lol. I was making a Ubuntu live usb and forgot that I had a hdd cradle. So I ran sfc from my other computer. Then made a vhd of the drive for virtual box. It still did the flashing thing.

Which it? Ubuntu, or Windows running in Virtual Box?

If it was just the Windows VM, it’s sounding like some kind of weird config problem, or corrupt version of dwm, the Windows compositor. One additional diagnostic step would be to log in as a different user, to see if the problem is limited to your account specifically.

So it’s a vhd of the windows hdd from the computer. I used that with virtual box to try and use sfc chkdsk and dim to fix it.