Need help with old AT PSU

Hello, I had an old AT style PSU die on an industrial machine and it has P8+P9 6 pin style connectors. Going online I found a suitable PSU and ordered it to test if the system is still good or if the old PSU took it down with it but the model I received(ASTEC VL202-3425) instead of coming with the P8+P9 connectors is wired with P6+P7 connectors instead and comparing it to the color code from P8+P9 the pinout of some of the cables is different.

Should be this

But is this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1acWN3Hs8zzmcPWTXC2u8tPP9mUacDiRo/view?usp=sharing

So I require help in re-pinning the connectors and powering up the PSU since it also didn’t come with the wiring for the power button.

I have tried searching for this online but so far had no success finding any relevant information on how to de-pin this type of connector and this PSU brand (now Artesyn Embedded Technologies) has no documentation on this model.

I was able to de-pin by inserting tweezers into the smaller holes(the ones on top in the figure above on the previous post on the clip side) and applying pressure but I’m still unable to turn the power on to test if the voltages match. I still haven’t plugged it into the PC to try because I want to be sure I won’t f up so if anyone can help with that I appreciate it.

If you’re comfortable with customizing the wiring yourself anyhow, you didn’t need to buy an old-style PSU.

You can desolder a 20 or 24-pin connector off an old motherboard and solder one of those two P6/7/8/9 connectors to the correct pins, and it’ll work just fine hooked-up to an ATX PSU. At least I found an old 200MHz Pentium era system booted and ran just fine with only one of the two connectors completed.

Of course these days you can just buy one:

I know, but I can’t find any of those connectors on sale to begin with and the only options I have for adapters are amazon Spain (only one result and will take two months to arrive) or aliexpress(will take over 2 weeks at least) and like I mentioned this is for an industrial machine which downtime slowing down things. My first step was sending the original PSU to repair but the fuse in it didn’t prevent the power management IC from burning down and the repairer is having trouble finding a replacement. Meanwhile, this PSU was overnight shipped and cheap so was worth a gamble but it’s either DOA or I have to turn it on somehow. I have an old 486DX system still working and tried it there, confirming the wiring was correct, but still no joy.

There should be two wires with spade/terminal connectors coming out of the PSU. Those get connected directly to 100-240v power.

You should have a load on the PSU when you power it on… a few old hard drives ought to work

That’s the problem, this one doesn’t have it. I did try to plug a hard drive as I was told by the seller it should auto power on but it still didn’t.

Interesting. I wish I knew what type of system that is meant for.
I would put a load on it with a couple hard drives, perhaps connect the ground pins together, and then investigate that 3-pin (fan-style) connector. See if one of those 3 pins has voltage. It may need to be hooked-up to a switch that jumps one of the wires to another.

Green is commonly used for the “power good” signal that turns-on a PSU. ATX PSUs output “standby” 5V even when off, and connecting the 5V output to the “power good” wire turns-on ATX PSUs.

If you’re in a rush and not making progress… well… now you have the connectors you need to make an ATX to AT converter/adapter.

1 Like

That was the hint. I need to have both a load and the green fan cable either shorted to ground or plugged in, then it powers on.

I’ll try it tomorrow.

Sorry for the late update, it has been working for a couple of days now. Had to switch a couple of pins since the wire colors didn’t match the spec for some voltages like -5V and -12V being switched with 12V and Power Good. Good thing I measured all the pins before installing the PSU.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.