Need help with KVM selection for 2 monitors and 2 computers

Hello, I’m looking for a level one tech KVM that will not limit gaming performance on my desktop. I’d also like to smoothly switch between my dekstop PC and my work laptop. I have two gaming monitors (and a third small one for discord). I really want to be able to switch my 2 large monitors between my desktop PC and my laptop. If I can cascade the third monitor to switch between pc’s - that’s all the better.

Does anyone have experience with something like this form the level1tech store: /products/14-kvm-switch-dual-monitor-2computer

Does this limit performance in any way? Is this better than the kvms startech offers? Are there any good videos of users showing off this KVM switching online?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Hi! I work at Level1. Hopefully I can help you out.

First of all, I have a post with all kinds of information & educational videos here:

I highly recommend reading that and watching our videos, but I will try to give some direct information to you.

I’m not sure what you mean by “limit” gaming or performance? I can give you some facts that hopefully answer your questions though.

The KVM tries to be as passive and non-intrusive as possible to avoid conflicts. It is just redirecting your signal.

• The DisplayPort 1.4 KVMs are all completely Nvidia G-Sync & AMD FreeSync compatible.
  • Make sure you have good quality cables & you will have no problems achieving up to 4K/120Hz (No DSC) or up to 4K/240Hz (With DSC).

If you are meaning “performance” as in changing FPS rates in games or causing lagging, that is a non-issue. The most prominent problem you could potentially face is not getting the refresh rate to be as high as you’re hoping for without it visibly struggling. Most of the time, that problem stems from your cables. They’re not created equally & easily can cause problems.

If you have any issues we do accept returns, issue RMAs, and offer support through email.

Please let me know if you have any questions! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this better than the kvms startech offers?
I recently ordered this KVM from Level1Techs after evaluating similar models from StarTech and other cheaper knockoffs. Even though the Startech models look the same on the outside, I couldn’t find any that offered 120Hz @ 4K, let alone offer USB-C 10Gb ports.

I’m still a bit stunned at how expensive KVMs are to be honest. Ideally I would’ve probably bought the 4 computers x 2 displays model if it was in stock since it was not too much more expensive. But having to deal with all the accompanying wiring made me reconsider.

I mean, I can’t give you an unbiased opinion about what’s better. Of course, I think the Level1Techs KVMs are better and worth the price. Wendell has custom firmware he’s worked on personally to create something you can’t find elsewhere. 4K @ 120Hz works on all of our DP 1.4 KVMs & the 10Gb USB-C ports work as described.

2 Likes