Need help with gpu folding, Folding@home, Fedora 31, Nvidia, Nvidia rtx 2070 [solved]

so with my openCl configuration, how many providers do I have?

FAH keeps saying my openCl is not detected, what do I search for to find the right packages. I am hitting a wall with finding people with similar setups to mine

It looked like two.

Try ls -l /etc/OpenCL/vendors/

That’s the configuration file the OpenCL ICD loader reads to find OpenCL providers. Then maybe you can do rpm -qf /etc/OpenCL/vendors/mesa.icd or rpm -qf /etc/OpenCL/vendors/pocl.icd, for example, to find what RPM installed what provider.

1 Like

Aha! Because it was an acronym, I missed that I also had to install “ocl-icd” on Manjaro.

It’s on Github:

Good luck

1 Like

ls -l /etc/OpenCL/vendors/

total 8
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 19 Dec 18 15:58 mesa.icd
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 22 Mar  8 16:09 nvidia.icd

rpm -qf /etc/OpenCL/vendors/mesa.icd

mesa-libOpenCL-19.2.8-1.fc31.x86_64

rpm -qf /etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd

xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-440.82-1.fc31.x86_64

should I remove the mesa open-cl?

Give it a try at least.

1 Like

Figured it out, going to mark this post as the solution!
The issue was the conflicting OpenCL libraries, I had installed. The toughest part of setting this up was figuring out what was broken. If you have similar issues to this viewing the outputs of FAHClient from terminal the terminal would help solve this issue. The types of OpenCL errors as seen below.

OpenCL: Not detected: clGetDeviceIDs() returned -1

this error I think combined with the other errors I think helped people determine my OpenCL was the issue.

Failed to start core: OpenCL device matching slot 1 not found, try setting 'opencl-index' manually

looking online for this error gave prompted either no results or results that were for different issues

Once we figured out it was a OpenCL was causing the issues, it was a matter of figuring out which were the specific packages

Turns out it was a issue with the mesa-libOpenCL, which was when installed Dec 18, when I installed the nvidia drivers from someone else’s packages instead of nvidia’s official packages.

running sudo dnf remove mesa-libOpenCL in the terminal uninstalled the mesa OpenCL libraries. Once I uninstalled the mesa OpenCL library, FAH automatically started folding on my nvidia 2070

If you have issues installing nvidia graphics drivers on fedora, try the installation guide from the fedora magazine

If you have issues installing cuda libraries on fedora try the installation guide from the wiki
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cuda
https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/CUDA
I used the wiki guide when I installed the OpenCL packages

Massive thanks to @zlynx for helping me figure out how to interpret the output of clinfo from the terminal and which the OpenCL library was causing the errors.
Hopefully someone will find this post when searching for similar outputs

5 Likes

This will be very relevant considering that modern distros are far enough ahead of the legacy codebase that new users wanting to contribute will fall victim to this gotcha. Thanks for your tenacity in the wake of this issue!

1 Like

Bravo, BedHedd! Good on ya sticking with things and figuring it out.

I’m impressed! :slight_smile:

1 Like