Need help tuning my RAM on Ryzen

Hello everyone,

I just build myself a new computer with an AMD Ryzen R7 1700 on an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero with 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz (2x 16GB).
When I try to activate the D.O.C.P and make it run on 3200MHz my PC won’t even post. So what I did was setting the D.O.C.P profile but reducing the clock speed to 2933MHz. From all the Ryzen related Videos on YouTube I understood that the overall performance of my system depends on the Infinity Fabric which is said to run at half the RAM speed. I’d like to know if I can to something to get my RAM working in spec.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I could tune the timings and get it to run at a higher frequency then. I just don’t have a clue how to tune my RAM timings so they make sense and work.

If you’re interested, this is what the system looks like:

I’m asking you for help.

Tytan64

Have you updated your BIOS?

And Ryzen still prefers certain RAM dies unfortunately, so some RAM models simply won’t hit their rated speeds on Ryzen no matter what you do.

That ram isn’t on the QVL. It’s my personal belief that the Crosshair VI Hero is one of the worst motherboards ASUS as ever made. I have one and hate it. Literally hate it. I’ve had better luck with open box ECS motherboards from Frys.

On the other hand, my Asrock Taichi is (nearly) flawless.

If 2933 is running stable, leave it at that and wait for Ryzen 2. I would bet memory support is one of the two main points to be addressed by the second gen. Ryzen 2 is supposed to be coming in Q1 2018.

If you want to get the fastest speeds now, Samsung B-die is the only way. I have a kit Trident-Z 3200 (non-RGB) running flawlessly just by activating D.O.C.P.

I am running the Prime X370 Pro with a 1700 @ 3.8GHz in that system.

On my Asus B350 Strix, I found that I had to increase the CAS latency above it’s rated value (15 to 16) in order to run my RAM at it’s rated speed

I’m on the second latest BIOS. I didn’t update to the latest one because ASUS claims it only adds support for upcoming processors.

I don’t know what your experience with the Crosshair VI Hero is but I had the MSI B350 PC MATE before this and after about 5 weeks it died for no reason and I send it back to amazon. After that I got the Crosshair Vi Hero and for me coming from the ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer it was a pleasant experience so far. I don’t blame the memory incompatibility on ASUS but more on AMD for the memory controller on the CPU though.

@Aldegund Is it only one value or are those several values I’d need to change?

Also sorry for reading this. I just figured out how to reply to several topics at once …

I have GSkill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200 RAM attached to the STrix X370-F Gaming ATX board, Ryzen 7 and I have settled at 2933. Sometimes I could get it a bit faster… maybe 3022 or some odd variant but would have issues posting every once in awhile. BIOS was updated right after I got the box. Box works well, does what I need it too, streams like a beast so I haven’t pushed it.

A recent BIOS update resolved that issue. Now D.O.C.P works just fine :slight_smile: