Need help shopping for used hardware

So, I have been trolling eBay for a used gigabit switch that has PoE for sub 100$ perf sub 80$. @wendell is always going on about how he makes great finds on used equipment there, the problem with me is that I have no idea what I’m looking for or if its even feasible to be looking so cheap. What are some things in networking switches that I would best avoid?

It might be out of budget but I would recommend a ProCurve if you can expand your budget to get one or wait a while for a price drop. Keep in mind they do have a noisy fan and are not suitable for living in the same room as one. This one has two gigabit ports without PoE, the rest are 100m and PoE.

24 port PoE Gigabit

1 Like

Shipping is always killer, and I don’t think I can get something shipped across the Atlantic right now. The 2810-24G looks like more ports than I need but It is mostly to fiddle with.

Was something wrong with this one

That one doesn’t have PoE, google the model number ( J9627A ) to bring up the datasheet off the hp website to be sure.

ahhh bait and switch

Maximum power rating and maximum heat dissipation are the worst-case theoretical maximum numbers provided for planning the infrastructure with fully loaded PoE (if equipped), 100% traffic, all ports plugged in, and all modules populated.

The series supported it but not all models, good looking out

Is there a generally supported open software people like to hack into these? Part of the coverage Lvl1 gives mentions multitudes of back doors lying in wait. Maybe cross checking models with supported ones might be something I could do weed out bad matches

Ubiquity is supported by some open firmware I know of This guy is a lot smaller and a bit pricey. I do have an AP from them, brand matching is mostly marketing ya?

UniFi AP’s use non-standard 24v instead of 802.3 48V I don’t know if that one does or not.

802.3af PoE is what my unify AP calls for which definitely doesn’t look like 48v

How much poe do you need? Why not just use an injector?

1 Like

I remembered that being the case aswell.
Checking their datasheets again, they specify 802.3af/at (44 to 57V)

Looks like they kicked the cheap ones out and replaced them with standard-conforming new and expensive ones. :thinking:

The UniFi AP AC Lite still has a 24V TVS diode. If you plug one into a 48V PoE injector or switch the TVS diode will explode and you have a $115 brick. I’m still waiting for an AP to support WPA3 before I upgrade my first gen UniFi AP.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ubiquiti+UniFi+AP+AC+Lite+TVS+Diode+Replacement/73360

1 Like

Need is such a big word. I do have a use for a switch and having PoE is a nice add.