Need Help on building my first Workstation

I am planning to build my first PC. A workstation for Machine Learning computing, video editing, and for casual gaming, mostly AAA titles at 4K, 40 FPS is fine. Below are the components I have in my possession:

• 1 TB WD * Black SN850 Gen4.0 NVMe SSD
  • 2 x 1 TB ADATA SPG SX8200 Pro NVMe Gen3.0 SSD
  • 2 x 16 TB Seagate EXOS X16 HDD
  • 2 x 32 GB T-FORCE VULCAN Z DDR4 3200
  • 2 x 16 GB T-FORCE VULCAN Z DDR4 3200
  • Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Case (Big Mistake)
  • 850W 80+ Gold ThermalTake Toughpower GF PSU (Very Big Mistake)

I will be buying the RTX 3080Ti irrespective of the Processor and Motherboard choice. Below are the options I am planning to go with.

1. ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI with Threadripper Pro 3955wx
    This is what I am biasing towards to go with, but I have few concerns:
  • Is 850W sufficient? If not what’s the minimum wattage I have to go with?
  • Are the RAMs I have with me currently compatible with this motherboard?
  • I will be upgrading the processor in the future. Will be future releases of Threadripper Pro based on ZEN 3 architecture be compatible with this motherboard?
  • I don’t think the CPU case I have is compatible with this motherboard but I am ready to buy a Fractal design Meshify 2 XL case if required.
  1. Ryzen R9 5950X with ASUS STRIX-X570-E, or GIGABYTE AORUS MASTER X570, or MSI X570 UNIFY
    This is my last option since the processor can’t be upgraded in the future for AM4 socket motherboards.

2. Threadripper with a reasonably priced motherboard
    A lot of people are suggesting that I go with the Threadripper lineup, but clueless as to where to start.

I somehow want to opt for Threadripper Pro build at a reasonable cost and upgrade individual components in the future. There should also be room for upgradeability in the future. I will definitely buy a 64 core processor when its price becomes reasonable.

It would also be an added bonus if the Motherboard has a 10GB port which I would use to connect to my Synology NAS.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the following:

• I am planning to install Windows 11 or VMWare ESXi on the machine I am building

• Budget: 3 Lakh Rupees (~2800 USD)

• I prefer air cooling and planning to buy Noctua NH-D15 Chromax black for Threadripper socket

• I am from India so please suggest parts which I can get from my region

• I prefer to go all ASUS here (in hopes that I can get a bulk discount)

Check the QVL. The answer is “No,” for this MOBO.

Use the EVGA calculator to determine PSU load.

You stated in #1 above you want to go with the 3955WX - that’s Threadripper Pro. There are lots of builds in this forum using that CPU - do I search and report back with your detailed questions.

You may find the X570-based motherboards limiting if you get in to moving lots of data. Machine learning alone will move you away from this platform.

Come back with detailed questions @hhharsha36

1 Like

Call up your local PC shop and tell them first that you are interested in buying a mobo and ask if you can bring your RAM to test the device. This is probably doable for the X570 platform. They may have some AM4 CPU lying around.

I dont think you can do the above method for the TR4 platform because it is unlikely that they have a threadripper CPU just lying around.

You will not be upgrading the CPU and motherboard separately in the future. I think this generation will be the last AM4 platform for AMD and they may make “AM5” in the next release, meaning your CPU wont fit in the new motherboard and your motherboard will also not be compatible with the new release. Heck there is even a possibility your RAM will also not be compatible (Corsair is releasing DDR5 RAMs now despite the lack of motherboard for it to use)

You could play the I will wait to upgrade game forever @hhharsha36 - Threadripper Pro is pretty spectacular today so you’ll be golden for a long time if you choose to go that route.

1 Like

Since you’re entertaining use of existing memory [as an easy-mode cost shaving, which I’d also attempt]. Check Teamgroups QVL listings, to assure socket platform / mainboard series for acceptance(s).

I think I’d be hesitant to mix though…

Choose one DIMM format and stick with it - don’t mix size of DIMMs. And populate all 8 lanes if you go with TR PRO.

@Bumperdoo sorry for my delayed response.

Guess I have to sell my current set of RAM and buy different RAMs altogether.

It looks like 850+ watt is sufficient.

You are right. Seems like I have to rethink and start from scratch.

I have one question for you though. Will the next version of Threadripper Pro based on Zen3 or 4 be compatible with the ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE Motherboard?

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply @regulareel

Seems like I will build a PC Threadripper Pro then. Thanks for the warning and information regarding DDR5 Motherboard.

1 Like

Its not available anywhere on their website. I have mailed Teamgroup regarding this info though…

Waiting for their reply. Will update if they respond.

That’s a bummer.

I taught same RAMs with different memory space wont have an impact as I had luck doing this in the past.

Seems like I have to sell all the RAM I have in my possession and buy new set of RAMs altogether.

Why does that matter? There will always be something newer and better coming out some day - you’ll never buy if that’s your attitude.

Given this a look?
https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/support/compatibility.php

Hello, I am planning to build a PC with Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI mobo, and the RAM I’m looking at is G Skill 3200 256GB Royal Trident Z C14. I’ve looked up online already but there is little information about the compatibility of this type of RAM and this mobo. Will Intel XMP 2.0 work on this mobo? Hope anyone could help! Thanks

RAM QVL is right here - enjoy! It doesn’t mean other RAM isn’t supported, but you want to stick pretty close to their recommendations.

I’m really interested if this works with 8 sticks. Keep us informed if the timings work. Is 3200MT supported when using all 8 slots? I think I saw full 3200 support only at 4 slots on an AMD chart listing all the ram configurations and supported memory speeds.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.