Need help on AutoCAD build!

Hey Tek,

Give me some suggestions on CPU/GPU or other parts to best support AutoCAD Build please?  Wondering if the CPU must list SSE2 technology.  Specifically using AutoCAD Electric 2011 the most.

Thanks!

'bump'

I would get a 3930k or amd 8350 with either a 7970 or a 680. Unless all your doing is autocad, then get a intel exon (like 2690) with amd Firepro cards or nivida Quadro cards.

Wow massive overkill imo, my dad uses autocad on his laptop with an i3 in it and it works fine.

id love to help you but i need more infomation really mate, about your profession/budget to give an intuative answer. I doubt socket 2011 is needed unless you really are a high end architect/designer Etc

here are the recommended specs:

• Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (compare Windows 7 versions) or Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2 or later)
  • AMD Athlon 64 with SSE2 technology, AMD Opteron® processor with SSE2 technology, Intel® Xeon® processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology, or Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology
  • 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
  • 6 GB free space for installation
  • 1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color (1,600 x 1,050 with true color recommended)
  • Internet Explorer 7.0 or later
  • Install from download or DVD

pretty much every new cpu will give you sse2 and em64t (correct me if im wrong. i did google a few cpu's) so its really down to your budget ;-)

it also says about 3d modelling requirements:

• Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor, 3 GHz or greater, or Intel or AMD dual-core processor, 2 GHz or greater
  • 2 GB RAM or greater
  • 2 GB free hard disk available, not including installation
  • 1,280 x 1,024 32-bit color video display adapter (true color)
  • 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater, Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card

if this is what your using it for a quadro/firepro workstation card will be required, (££££)

but as cpu is concerned not much is needed

You dont need a Workstation class card, its just recomended. A gtx 670 will work, it wont be as efficient though. The workstation cards are binned higher, the drivers are tweaked and they have higher floating point precision capabilitys. But.....when it comes to price vs performance......Workstaion cards are expensive as hell. lol

So....3570k cpu

GTX 670

and a psu no lower than 550 watts

Thats what I recommend. Hope it helps.

Or....tell me you have a bigger budget and I'll give you a build to match.

CAD doesn't use gpu acceleration. get a gaming rig, and just give it plenty of ram. I got inventor to run on a shitty laptop.

Viking Lord read this......http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-AutoCAD-2013-GPU-Acceleration-164

It will run on anything, and anthing normaly will, but when you are using it as a means to make money....Productivity is the key word...

An nvidia 660 is around 200 that would be more price to performance efficient.