Need help migrating IMAP mail to a new server (Folders don't show up)

I’m attempting a migration/upgrade of a mail server from Ubuntu Server 9.04 with Cyrus v2.2.13-Debian-2.2.13-14ubuntu3 to Debian 10.6 with Cyrus 3.0.8-Debian-3.0.8-6+deb10u4

After installing the packages on the new server, I ran rsync on the new machine to pull the mail over:

rsync -ave 'ssh -p 22' [email protected]:/var/lib/cyrus/mailboxes.db /var/lib/cyrus/mailboxes.db

rsync -ave 'ssh -p 22' [email protected]:/var/spool/cyrus/ /var/spool/cyrus/

Then, per the Cyrus migration guide, I ran reconstruct to update the mail to the new version:

su cyrus
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -V max

The migration guide mentioned a few databases that didn’t need to be moved as they will be auto-built by the new version (for TLS sessions, etc) so those were not copied over.

The problem is, when connecting to the new server as one of the mail users from Thunderbird to test it, it appears that there are no folders except Inbox in the user’s account. There is no Drafts, Trash, etc. There should also be an entire tree of sub-folders with mail in them.

The Inbox (only folder present) is full of mail though.

It appears that message that were sorted into folders are NOT present via Thunderbird on the new server. Only messages that were in Inbox at the time of copy are visible in Inbox. In otherwords, mail was not “collapsed” into the Inbox, but rather the subfolders and all the mail in them appear to be “hidden”.

I posted this on SF about a month ago and got no replies. Also tried to get on the Cyrus mailing list, but never got the admin approval to post (I emailed the admins several weeks ago to get approval, and got no response).

I’m hoping someone here might have some mail server experience? Options are:

1. Figure out why folders aren’t importing/showing in the new Cyrus version?
  2. Import mail to the server a different way (ie have new Cyrus “suck” the mail from old Cyrus over the IMAP protocol rather than disk copy, the same way Thunderbird pulls in messages when you set it up on a new computer.
  3. Switch to Dovecot or an alternative FOSS IMAP system?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!